Ever do something so monumentally stupid....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grrrr....

...the Garbage Man
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
...on a bike you actually get shivers thinking about it?

Well, I just did it.

Normal commute, a tad late when I notice some crotch rocket behind me. Seeing as I have testosterone flowing through me I don't like people overtaking me so I give it a bit more gas. I keep the cretin at bay and was going to properly smoke him past Paarden Island when a bike blocked my way and I had to slow down. The little shit shot past me on my right and disappeared while I waited for a gap.

I let it go, he was way ahead of me but met up with him at the main intersection where you turn into the harbour from Paarden Island side.

Now was my chance, I was stuck behind him but was going to try to overtake him when I noticed the same old recurring thing unfold that happens every @#$%ing morning at that intersection. Container trucks, big 18 wheelers coming out the harbour take a right towards the Paarl side turn-off heading wherever. They usually block the intersection so when you get a green you sometimes need to wait for up to three trucks to go through a red so you can go. No different this morning but only one truck. So we go.

We had a few meters of open road before you meet up with the cars in the two left lanes merging to go to Cape Town. The truck was in the right on it's way to the highway towards Paarl direction. We were both giving it some and I was certain we would both make it in front of the truck and then have open road so I can spank it some more. I was wrong....

He managed to just make it and sliced in front of the truck but I was not so lucky. We caught up with the stationary traffic in the left lanes and I was stuck. Stuck next to rows of metal to my left and huge spinning rubber wheels of death to my right. I was so close to the trucks trailer wheels I could feel the air being kicked up. And then I saw something else.... a car trying to merge but it's ass sticking over the solid line. I was stuffed....

I was either going to hit the car and then get flung under the truck or get run over by the trailer. There was no way through so I slammed the brakes and prayed.... My hands are actually getting sweaty just typing this.

The car was starting to come closer but still had the trailer with the spinning rubber wheels of death to my right. Thank goodness at the last second the trailer shot by and I swung out to the right missing the car by centimetres.... I started swearing at myself. My heart was pounding.

The last bit from there to town was a mess.... I was freaked out and couldn't get back into any rhythm. Everything freaked me out while playing what could have been back in my mind. It was the closest call I have had in a looooooong time and if it went south I have no disillusions of what would have happened. I would have a fat truck tyre track across my face.

And for what?

Liewe aarde.... I think I shall take the car into work tomorrow. Or maybe not. But that was one of my stupidest things I have done on a bike thus far.