F800GS steering head bearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelis+

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
The bike has done 48 000 km, and developed a shake that feels a bit like an unbalanced front wheel.  I fitted a new tyre, but the problem persisted.  So three possible problems I could think of i) rim out of round, ii) shocks and iii) steering head bearings.

With the bike jacked up, I found that the front rim is slightly out of round, but as I had no hard landings or smileys, I think (or rather hoping) it is less likely that this is the problem.  When the front wheel is yanked up and down, I can feel some movement between the top bearing and the frame, and there is also a slight knocking noise.  I therefore suspect the steering head bearings.  I took the bike to Sandton Auto (I work a few blocks from there) but was somewhat disappointed that the technician did not use the yanking technique to check the problem, but perhaps I am barking up the wrong tree?  The head bearings are not gritty, and are not self centering.  Anyway, I gave the instruction to have the bearings replaced, so I will know in a few days. 

I enquiries about the lab our rate, and it has been reduced from R1200 per hour to R650. So it appears that the initial high rate because it is Sandton, backfired.  The workshop looked quiet to me.  Is R650 per hour the going rate elsewhere ?