Fabricator gem in PE - BMW cafe racer and KTM 950 SMT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornadoF5

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
I happened to meet a very quiet and elusive chap in PE today and was wowed when I walked into his home workshop and marvelled at the mans true fabricator talent. His name is Wayne Buys and is a millwright by trade and a wonderful fabricator of aluminium a metal which he loves. I am trying to get him to join the WD forum as he recently lost his job after the company he worked for went under and I know he will be able to add tremendous value to the adventure bikers out here with his ability to create.

Just a taste of what he has done and what he is doing, as I want him to put the posts up here and tell the story when he does register as a member.

This is his current project and started off with a donor BMW R1200S which he is turning into a café racer

Wayne has fabricated the tank and tail piece as one unit from aluminium by hand. Header pipe and exhaust he made too. If you look carefully underneath there is a solid belly pan he made from alu as well. The triple clam he machined

Gave the forks a beefier look with alu tube covers

The radiator that he wanted covered so as to look nice, he hand moulded an aluminium shroud with cooling fins for it to hide behind

Front mudguard took two weeks of fabrication

Ok I will try get him to sign up and continue a thread on this build as he progresses. Nice thing is Wayne could not find an English roller so He made one and I'm sure those in the know will be excited about that.

Next is a standard KTM 950 SMT which Wayne converted to actually I don't know, but what he has done is simply marvellous when one starts looking as the fabrications and talent involved.

This is a pic of the final product, but look really carefully (SMT & SE share same running gear bar a few different things)

Firstly the range of the tank as we all know on the SE's is very limited to 14ly fuel. The oil cooler was removed and a fuel tank manufactured to replace it.

Oil tank was move to the front of the swingarm

Note the beefy crash bars!

The tail piece, yes you guessed it, is hand made from aluminium and incorporated the under-seat exhaust and LED brake and indicator lights

Heat from the exhaust was initially causing the tailpiece to get very hot so he manufactured a heat sink to cool things down :thumleft:

Note the wonderful exhaust pipework