Father and son trip to Penge

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
All my riding buddies went on a 17 day trip to Mozenbuiqe which i could not go with due to work comentments
so plan my own short trip to Penge with my son.
IMG_3786_1_1.jpg
[/img]
Paul rode the Kawe 300 KLX while i rode the KLR 650 which me and Dr KLR had just finished Pimping.
IMG_3788_1_1.jpg
][/img]

1 st day there went down to the Olifants river to see the level of the water as it had been rain all
week, found the river high and flowing hard, no chance to cross today.

IMG_3783_1_1_1.jpg
[/img]

Spoke two guys and girls on quads we meet at the river and they said there was no chance to cross
but showed us a new route i did not know about, we went for a recie ride to see and it turned out
to be a awesome technical route which we enjoyed but decided to do the easy route back as it
was very difficult and it looked as if it would rain again and as it was after 1600 hrs.

IMG_3795_1_1.jpg
[/img]

The next day we packed the bikes for a 2 day trip including camping out the night and very determined to
find a route to cross the mighty Olifants river.

The extra weight made the bike handled alot like a tank, the front end washed out very easily in sand
found if i sat more on the tank it was better.

We end up riding up and down on very technical and beautiful tracks next to the river for the whole day
covering 120 odd kms trying to cross this raging river but no luck.

IMG_3797_1_1.jpg
/img]
IMG_3791_1_1.jpg
[/img]
IMG_3796_1_1.jpg
[/img]

The master link broke on the 300 but luckly found all the pieces, the clip had broking so spend a
hour and a half musroming the ends over to hold it together with the added security of steel glue.

Tied to walk it in a few spots but nearly got washed away and ended up with wet boots and pants.
IMG_3783_1_1_1.jpg
[/img]
Finally after admitting defeat to the river, we would not be sleeping near Maffee lodge tonight we set
up camp next to the river.
IMG_3801_1_1.jpg
[/img]
IMG_3800_1_1.jpg
[/img]
Had a few KWV's as the sun set on the mountions around us. Found out my son (and i ) is scared
of spiders.
IMG_3799_1_1.jpg
[/img]
Woke up to heavy mist the next morning and found every ting covered in spider webs even the
bikes handle bars.
IMG_3814_1_1.jpg
[/img]
IMG_3810_1_1.jpg
[/img]
Packed up camp and packed the bikes again and set off to try another valley to see if we could try some other
way around this river, after a usless search we gave up and packed the bikes on the trailer and headed
for home to plan our next trip,

I will be back to concure the river when it stops raining.