Financing a pvt deal while out of country

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello there.

I work out of country most of the time, with a 2 week stint back in SA every so often. Anyways, as I would have liked to spoil Rubicon a bit, I was looking for a mint Dakar. So, I found one in George with 12000kms on 2007 as well, so last and best year for them. Price a little high at 55k, but getting a 6 yr old bike with that low kms does not happen too often.

As I am out of country, I contacted BMW in George to buy the bike in, and then charge their fee and handle the inspection and financing and registration etc. At the same time I see a nice 2008 GSA with full BMW catalogue thrown at it, so I contact Donfords to assist with this one.

BMW sees I have 2 applications going, so transfer them both to Donfords. BMW in George approved my finance within 2 hours for the Dakar, so only need to get the GSA approved.

It takes me 2 phone calls and 2 emails on the Saturday to get a hold of the sales guy there. It takes me another 3 calls and 3 emails on Monday to get a response from them on Monday afternoon.

It then takes me 2 more mails and then having to ask Rynet to call them to get a finance approved from them on Tuesday. On Wednesday morning they say they cannot do the deal if I am not personally there to sign the last papers. This is a little difficult as I am in the Congo.

I ask them to pay a deposit so that they can buy the bikes in and then keep them for me until the end of the month. Answer is no, its too risky for them.

I was prepared to pay their R20k service and inspection fees for the 2 bikes upfront, and they could have seen if the bikes were good enough to resell and keep my R20k if I bugger them around. Seems they do not need the R20k business at this time. :deal:

If I am in CT personally I can take a potential bike to them and apply for my own finance. Saving R20k. So them only willing to deal with me while I am in CT does not make any sense.

So finally at my question. Seeing that I will struggle to find another bike like the 12000kms Dakar, especially if I have to put a time window to it, who would be able to help me finance a bike or two while I am out of country?