First ride in South Africa!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Hi all,

I'm coming to your country from England at the end of Jan to see a friend, we've decided at the last minute to hire a bike and spend the week riding instead of chilling by the pool/sea!  I've done a bit of touring in Europe and the UK but have some questions for you guys that might sound obvious but please humour me!?

I've found lots of places that hire bikes from Cape Town, are any better than others?  I'm also having trouble finding someone to hire the kit, I'd bring my own but the stuff we wear in the UK is thick and insulated, probably not suitable for 40deg and anyone who has used Heathrow will understand why I don't want to check in baggage....  ;-)

My pillion is worried that she will overheat, do you have any tips for gear to keep her cool?

We are planning to spend 4 days on the road, heading towards Port Elizabeth, although my friend knows some of the area, are there any hidden gems along the way that are worth riding to?

Sorry it's a long post!