From Estonia to South Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Hi everyone,

I'm 36 year old Estonian and have been travelling through west coast of Africa past year or so with my KTM 450 EXC. My plan was to ride around SA and then continue back to Europe through East Africa, but as you probably know, pandemic hit 2 months ago, so have been stuck near Durban.

Finally restrictions have been relaxed a bit and I got permit to ride to Cape Town. As riding through Africa will be impossible near future, current plan is to ride to Cape Town and finish my trip there. Put my bike on a ship and fly home. I don't have anything booked yet and my permit is for one month and would prefer not the shorted route. Of course if situation changes, plans my change.

I already downloaded some routes from the forum before corona hit us and planned to head to Lesotho, but this is out of question now. I suppose my main problem in current situations will probably be accommodation as camping grounds etc. seems to be closed. Also as it is winter now, camping in higher altitudes will be too cold for my gear. I usually don't plan much and just ride and start looking for accommodation in the second part of the day, but I'm pessimistic this is going to work in current state. So any routes with biker friendly accommodations are appreciated. Rougher the route, the better.

Currently I'm thinking of heading to Underberg and head east from there. Ben 10 Eco challenge seems quite interesting route. Would these mountain passes still be passable during winter? Any good accommodations there that are open currently?

Cheers,
Romet

PS. Bike in my profile is Husqvarna, because I did not find KTM 450/500 as an option and this was basically the closest, just wrong colour. And I have Husqvarna 701 back home.

Attachments

• drakensberg.jpg
    drakensberg.jpg
    431.5 KB · Views: 137