From Horses to Iron horses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Now this trip started long long ago when Victor and Oom Piet still rode these roads with a horse and chariot.  This was an annual thing, and when Oom Pietâ??s son, Corne started riding bikes, this quickly changed to a different crowd, but same plan.  Victor still wanted to come along, hence the backup bakkie.

My ride started with a cold and wet ride from Melkbos to Porterville.  Mist all the way.  Passed 3 bikes that you donâ??t normally see riding as a group on tar: Funduro, 650 V-strom and Yamaha XT350.  Little did I know that I would be joining this unconventional group later.
The group arrives in Porterville and from here we took the tar to Eendekuil, said hi to some family, check out this lekker play thing in the barn waiting for some TLC:

Bertus on the V-strom had 100km on the clock before the start of the trip.

We went up the old Piekenierskloof pass, and I doubt if I will ever again use the tar version again:

Turned into the Cederberg after stocking up in Citrusdal.  Our first drinks break, a bolt vibrated loose on the XTâ??s chainguard, and Corne helps out. 

Oom Piet Kruiwa passing, check out the attgatt:

We stopped for lunch next to the Matjiesfontein nature reserve office, and had some splendid Cederberg scenery and weather all the way to our camping spot at the start of Katbakkies pass.

Check out thes nice dunes and 3 very happy bikers:

That evening we were joined by another Dakar, and two 1982 200 Honda XTâ??s.  What exceptional bikes.  Just looking at these bikes makes you wonder if we are going the right direction with bikes named â??Adventureâ? and costing R140k.  These bikes deserve the name Adventure.

Not that I am saying that these bikes are inappropriate, in-fact, I think these are really appropriate.

Next morning saw us lazily attacking the ride to Middelpos.  We did not have a lot of distance to cover, and had more than ample time.

We had lunch in a dry river bed, and while waiting for the Funduro, these guys pulled in.

The one oke came and asked if I could give him a lift.  Where to? â?? Meneer sien daai berg daar doer, daai koppie net daar regs.â?  Unfortunately for us both I had to decline.  Would have love to see his face after such a trip.  Turned out the Funduro had some sort of overcharging problem or something as the battery cooked dry.

One of the 200â??s developed a fuel problem, and we only figured out a day later that it was the tank luggage that blocked the breather pipe.  That after stripping the carb and doing all the possible fault finding.  Learning the hard way:

After a compulsory round of drinks from the Middelpos bar, we were entertained with the best Springbok â??rug stringâ? I have ever had.  And just as we thought things could not get better, oom Piet Kruiwa had a â??pilot/motorbike ryer/flasherâ? play lined up for us.  We were crawling around with laughter.

Next morning had us lined up for the obligatory team photo:

And with that we headed for ouberg pass, only to miss the turn off, probably because we were doing low flying, and ended up in Sutherland.  Waited for 30min for the fuel pump to open.  Only operates 11:30 till 12:00 on a Sunday.  And off to Ceres via R356.  Just as we hit the tar the 200 with the fuel problemâ??s back wheel starts shaking wildly.  Stop, and find that the spokes are busted.  No quick sollution, so onto the trailer goes the bike.  A Very happy Victor: â??Moes nog nooit â??n perd od die trailer laai nie, ha ha haâ?

What a trip.  Not your normal mix of riders, but all still sharing the same love for the outdoors, whether on a horse or on the back of a bike.