From Ontario, Canada to SA in October - Anyone want to join me or have advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I am pretty excited about coming to South Africa for the month of October and perhaps more time after December.  I plan on arriving around the 6th of October, probably into Cape Town, and heading north to Moz around the 26th of October to meet friends for a couple of months.  I have never been on the continent and I am an avid traveller/backpacker, yet new to motorcycle touring.

I am thinking about renting a motorcycle in Cape Town and touring around for a couple of weeks before I head north into Mozambique.  The tour company I have been looking at will rent me a motorcycle and/or plan me a route and book me into accommodations on a set schedule.  Both are appealing to me, but I would prefer the leisure of renting a motorcycle and exploring if I had others to do the same with.  I will be travelling away from Canada for 6 to 8 months so I am not into spending a fortune on accommodations and meals.  I would rather spend it on the adventures and activities. 

I am looking for riding partners as I am not super enthused about travelling alone as a female by bike.  Anyone else in the same boat in October?  Or does anyone have suggestions?  Where to go, rent from, what to bring, what to see, where to stay, book with tour company or just rent and figure out accommodations as I go, etc.