Garmin GPSMap 78s - let the games begin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacko

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Hildebrand & Wolfmuller (all models)
After a few insults from Runner, we concluded a deal where I sell him my 276C and he sells me a new 78s.

Now some of you might think: WTF? Hear me out.

While "The Fishfinder" (aka 276C) is a great unit, I already have a Zuma 500. The Zuma is quite user-friendly and I've been using it more and more in and around the city - car and bike. In fact, in Europe I use it every year and it has greatly relieved navigational strife between me and SWAMBO.

But I wanted a tough, hardcore unit that doesn't autmatically do this and that. Also, a unit that has many manual settings like, amongst other things, being able to work in decimal degrees. The Zuma cannot, as its built for city people.

Enter the 78. It is the follow-up to the 76 and shares the same software as the new 62 (which succeeded the 60 range). I was initially worried about the small screen, but that isn't a problem

What I do like is the fact that it can run on AA batteries, that is probably one of the toughest GPSs on the market and that it can also be used as a handheld unit when hiking/shopping for fur coats and gold jewelry in Gstaad.  :biggrin:

I also have a Ram cradle for it. There was slight vibration as there's slight play betwee the unit's back and the cradle, but a thin strip of one-sided black rubber-foam adhesive cured that.

Experiences of other 78s owners will be appreciated.