GAUTENG - SUNDAY RIDE 24 May 2009

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightning1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
The De Wildt Ride on 10 May 2009 seems to have been a fairly successful ride, and from feedback, it seems that everybody enjoyed themselves. The ride report has been filed with some excellent photos taken by Usurper and GundaGunda, and gives a good idea of what the ride was like.

The ride was pitched at very much an introductory level, but was certainly more technical than riding on gravel roads. Another De Wildt ride will be organised for the first weekend of June as well, with some extra bits thrown in.

Why am I telling you all this under a Ride Planning report? Well, because I am putting together another ride for Sunday 24 May 2009, and it will give you an idea of the planned ride.

The only gripe about going to De Wildt is that there is a lot of tar riding to get there, which obviously takes time, so this ride will be much closer to Johannesburg, and will be based in and around the mine dumps of Maraisburg. Do not be fooled by the venue, as it is not just about roaring up and down the sides of mine dumps, although that can (and will) also be arranged, and there is lots of good riding to be had. 

The ride will be pitched at the same level as the De Wildt ride, so experienced riders may be a bit bored, although it will be slightly more technical than the De Wildt ride, primarily because of the tightness of some of the route. There are ways around everything, so do not worry too much. Everybody that went on the De Wildt ride will easily cope on this ride too.

So, there you have it, Sunday 24 May 2009 at Maraisburg.

The starting time and the meeting point have now been finalised, and we will meet at the CMR Golf Club in Maraisburg, from 07h30, with the aim of leaving from there at 08h00. I have cleared it with the golf club, and they indicated that we are welcome to have breakfast any time from 07h00 onwards.   

Here are the directions as posted on their website:
Travel on the (N1) highway southbound and take the Maraisburg off-ramp (24). At the top of the off-ramp turn right and go over the highway. Turn left at the second set of traffic lights (there is a slip-road) into Spencer Road and drive 600m to the C M R club entrace on your left hand side.

If you need to contact me, you can get hold of me on 082 496 9206.

Obviously, if you are coming from the south, the converse would apply. If these are not clear, contact me with a pm, and I will happily try and give you directions. I do not have a gps reference, unfortunately. There are two service stations, once you have turned off the highway, and you can refuel there if necessary. We wil not be using too much fuel though.

PROVISIONAL GROUP:
Frog - X-Challenge
Usurper - F650 GS
Gundagunda - KLE 500
Pistol - 1200 GS
Redwolf - XR 650
Hel_bent - 690 Adv
Eggs - 640 Adv
Sherman - 1200 GS
Think Mike - 1200 GS
Jules - KLR 650
Bertrand - X-Challenge