Giant Loop vs BMW Sport Softbag

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentbob

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
OK need some advice here. I've been spending quite a bit of time looking at various soft luggage options, automatically ignoring most of the BMW ones (after all anything BMW tends to be automatically be pricey) and it seems that pretty much the highest rated non-BMW branded soft luggage on the market is the Giant Loop system.

Today however I was at BMW for a service and got talking a bit about gear. Turns out that BMW's Sport Soft bag is actually not that pricey. In fact, with the luggage rack, which is not necessarily needed for the bag, it comes in cheaper than the Giant Loop Great Basin bag. It seems like a pretty sturdy bag, it can pack up to 55L and is waterproof. Also, it fits quite nicely onto the 800GS ... more importantly, it does not stick out beyond the crash bars (does not come in Orange though).

So, does anyone on the forum own one of these bags and if so what is your experience with them?

I'm looking for a bag to do take one long-ish trips... some on-road, but mostly off-road where there will most definitely be some falling involved (hence the soft luggage route) and right now the options seem to either be the Giant Loop Great Basin or the BMW Sport Soft bag.