Goldi and the Wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dieterj

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I had a small bike, too small, then a big bike, too big, and then I got the Dakkie – just right.  Therefore she was dubbed Goldilocks.

My father-in-law bought himself a Goldwing Trike, having never ridden a bike in his life.  Recently he joined the Goldwing club, and last weekend was their Mini-Fling at Gariep Dam.  After the necessary approvals from the Goldwing club, I got the go-ahead to tag along, and so began the weekend of Goldi and the Wings.

We left at about 6am on Friday, through heavy mist which was irritating and sometimes dangerous, but soon we were through it and stopped for breakfast at the next Wimpy.

Then on to Tom’s Place, where we stopped for lunch.  First photo stop:

WingRiders027.jpg

After some stops due to roadworks,

WingRiders028.jpg

We got to the dam, where we had a early night.

Next morning I decided to go walkabout on the dirt roads, but on the way out I came across the bulk of the Wings.

WingRiders036.jpg

WingRiders040.jpg

WingRiders044.jpg

In a sneaky infiltration move, Goldi got her Wings

WingRiders037.jpg

WingRiders038.jpg

Then onto walkabout.  Some good, clean helmet time, on roads that were brilliant, narrow, good dirt.

WingRiders051.jpg

WingRiders053.jpg

WingRiders058.jpg

WingRiders060.jpg

WingRiders061.jpg

The lunchstop, biltong and cheese

WingRiders063.jpg

On some more over the dam

WingRiders064.jpg

Then, according to the GPS, there was an S-road that looked interesting, and promptly took that.

WingRiders068.jpg

The road became narrower and more fun, but after coming up this hill

WingRiders072.jpg

I came up against this

WingRiders073.jpg

Whaaat??  I thought S roads were public roads, but this one was solidly locked.  I thought I might have gone wrong somewhere, but going back along the way I came, I saw this street sign, which admittedly looks ridiculous given the size of the road, but hey, definitely public.

WingRiders074.jpg

Anyhow, carried on going and came up around where I would have come out with the S road.  Another gate, but not locked, and a usual green street sign showing what was in that direction.  Who gives the farmer the right to close down a public road, or am I missing something?

Anyway, went back to the dam, here’s the dam wall.

WingRiders075.jpg

That evening we had a braai with the group, and father-in-law got his colours

WingRiders079.jpg

Wing Riders meet Travel on Gravel

WingRiders078.jpg

Sunday we left for home

WingRiders083.jpg

With some key challenges, it took a little longer than expected, but we had a great time, and a 1700km bike weekend can never be bad.
It was also great meeting a group of another type of biker, and their passion is similar to ours – different people brought together by a common interest.