GS1200 vs 990adv vs SuperTen cost of ownership

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redwolf

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Adventure R
Hallo dawgs

My work situation has changed a bit and I would probably start working in JHB from the 1st of August. I currently stay in PTA. So this means I need a big bike for commuting (nice excuse.. ::)).

So far my choices are between the GS1200, KTM990 and SuperTen.   :deal:

My heart says KTM, but I am trying to do some evaluation of the ownership cost, just to justify the KTM to myself ::)

THIS IS NOT A THREAD TO COMPARE WHAT BIKE IS THE BEST OFFROAD OR HAS THE MOST POWER, IT IS JUST PURELY TO COMPARE OWNERSHIP COST WITH EACH OTHER.

Ok, so what I'll take into account is (all costs will be worked out over a 3 year period):

Purchase price
Fuel consumption
Insurance
Service cost
Tyres cost
Chain/drive shaft cost
and then selling price at the end of 3 years.

Just some facts:
+- 30000km to travel per year. Thus selling on +- 90000km at the end of 3year period.

The formula that I'll use:
[Purchase price + ((90000km / Fuel consumption) * R10.00/liter) + (Insurance (per month) * 36 months) + (Total service cost in 90000km) + (Tyre costs in 90000km) + (Final drive costs in 90000km)] - [Final selling price at 90,000km (3 years)]

Assumptions:
Standard GS1200, KTM990 and SuperTen
Purchase price is for new bikes
Fuel price stays at constant R10/l (just for calculation purposes)
Insurance is subjective to my profile (will get quotes tomorrow)
Total service cost - Work out under the assumption that the KTM's get's serviced every 7500km and BMW and Yamaha every 10,000km
Tyre cost - Assume same tyre for every bike. Let's make a call on Anakees.
Final drive - chain for KTM's, shaft maintenance for BMW and Yamaha

So, I need the following information from owners:
Purchase price of KTM (can't find any on the web)
Fuel consumption of KTM, BMW and SuperTen under normal commuting conditions.
Major and minor service costs for KTM, BMW and Yamaha (dealer cost, due to warranty purposes)
Tyre life for KTM, BMW and Yamaha. Assuming Anakees (for now), normal highway commuting.
Amount of chains and sprockets used in 90,000km for KTM. Shaft maintenace for BMW and Yamaha for 90,000km period.
Estimated selling price after 3 years (90,000km) for KTM, BMW and Yamaha. Assuming similar condition.

Anything I missed?

Must say I am quite excited.. :biggrin: (have to still sign my new constract though.. ::))