Hallo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hi,

I have been registered since Aug08, but never got around to this (suppose I wanted to be too fancy going about it).

Well here I am with a condensed version.

I have been a “Fun Rider” since 1984. Growing up my dad had two motorbikes on the farm. In 1976 marked the arrival of the “Big Bike”: a Suzuki ST125 Prospector. We where only allowed to start riding when I was in St6. This of course was only made possible with the aid of a pair of “pan elite” chairs from the kitchen, as being vertically challenged has always been…., well a challenge.  It also took some getting used to the 4-Speed Split-Gearbox.

1976ts125250tf5.jpg

In 1988 my dad had the idea that a smaller motorcycle would be more suited for the job.
In any case smaller = slower, therefore a Kawasaki AR80.  
If we wanted to learn to ride a bike, then it would be best in a semi-controlled environment.  
It turned out that the 80cc matched the 125cc in the speed category, but not quite in the “Off-road” capabilities. After the “Slicks” had warned down, it was replaced with “Knobblies”, resulting in an odd looking road bike.

1981kawasakiar80cg5.jpg

After leaving home, there was a bit of a dry spell.  In1996 I bought a second hand 1983 Kawasaki KLR600 (I don’t believe it has ever been anything else).  I had its dual-purpose capabilities in mind, when I bought it.  I never ended up using it off-road much and I have it still.

07062008811no9.jpg

Last year I was lucky enough to obtain one of the first BMW F800GS’s.  This is the bike has been calcified as: “Dual Propose” and I intend to toughly test this statement.

280920082332bn2.jpg

See you around (the dirt).
8)