Happy ending

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spider pigs dad

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
I have been thinking of changing my 1200ADV for something else , it turns out this was a foolish thought . This all started a few weeks ago , going home from work the gear box would not go into N or 1st I stopped and fiddled with the gear leaver and back wheel and it came right but it was still worrying me . I toke the bike to Autoatlantic they had a look and could not find any thing wrong . With this in mind not knowing if it was going to happen again in the middle of nowhere I started to become a little disillusioned and started thinking of other bikes . Then last Sunday my girlfriend and I were in Wellington when the gear box locked solid . I removed the seat and called the BMW on call number with in 90 min BMW arrived loaded the bike and of it went to Auto Atlantic . That evening on call phoned to check that we were OK , we had ridden home on my girlfriends  the little X country . Shane called on the Monday to say they were stripping the box to asses the damage and quote . The result of the strip was the intermediate shaft bearing had collapsed and this had caused the box to lock . When I bought the bike I had taken out an extended warranty (thank goodness) the  repair cost to me is R400.00 this is for the consumables , oil etc . The total repair cost is R11700.00 . It would how ever be possible to make the repair my self for around 3K using after market bearings and seals . BMW's level of commitment to me and my problem was outstanding they did all they could to be helpfull . I have been riding BMW's since 1983 and after this will most likely still be riding them in 2033 . Well done BMW and Shane at Auto Atlantic