Helmet Cam: ATC 3K Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usurper

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
Test Clip: ("Jou Tjoep" messes up the quality of the clip... it actually looks better on pc or tv)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQMqC9Sckqo edit: (but it does look better if you click on "watch in high quality")

I got my ATC 3K helmet Cam from Have 2 Have last week (delivered in the prescribed 6 working days  :thumleft: )
R 1,632 all in
https://www.have2have.co.za/product/Oregon-Scientific-ATC-3K-Waterproof-Action-Cam-Flash-Memory-Vide/70084/

What you get:
   The cam
   Tripod
   Handlebar mount (pretty cool)
   2 AA batteries (I was impressed)
   rubber and Velco straps (Non of which was even remotely long enough to attach the cam to the helmet  :mad:  )
   a Drivers CD for Win2K, XP and Vista (I guess this is if you want to use it as a Web Cam)

What I did not get:
   A manual  ???  WTF, not in the box or on the CD... AND if I try and download it, they have a broken link on their web page !!!
   an SD card, fortunately I did have a 4 Gig card handy.

Features: (According to them) 
    * Waterproof up to 3 Meters
    * 32mB Internal Memory, expandable up to 4GB with built in SD drive (SD card not included)
    * Web Cam Capabilities with Stand Included (Webcam not for Mac)
    * All Mounting Hardware Included
    * PC requirements: Windows XP, Windows 2000, Windows Vista, OS X 10.4 and below

PROs:
   * Once I attached it to the helmet it worked: recording; playback straight to TV; playback on PC. All is simple and straight forward.
   * Non Intrusive, I was worried about the cam on the side of the helmet, but I never felt the weight, wind drag or wind resistance. Only took it up to about 110 km\h in the test run though.
   * It one of the cheaper cams on the market

CONs:
   * No proper mounting for a motorbike helmet
   * Audio is a write-off!!! seriously, is no good!
   * I cannot find the battery indicator (may be because I have no manual) but if that is not present it is going to be a bitch...
   * The button to start and stop recording is hard to press with gloves on, may still get use to it.

So I modded a temporary mounting from a bit of the strap clip provided and cable-tying it to a screw-on mounting I still had from my SuperTooth headset (see attached pic). Attached the cam and lined it up by standing in front of the bathroom mirror and pointing the cam straight at myself in the reflection, that worked pretty well.

Attachments

• ATC3KMount2.jpg
    ATC3KMount2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 283