Help!! My Brother needs advice on a bike

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brendon

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
OK, so my brother suffers from "internetlessness"  :D

And, he is looking for a bike, so some advice please. I am "stumped" with this one myself.

This is what he told me:

He is looking for a "on\off road" bike, 400cc or bigger, which can do 140km/h with not much strain, for nothing more than R20k.

After some "prodding" from me, we get to some more info:

He prefers the on\off road bikes because of the seating position, and "might" want to do a little bit of non-technical off-road stuff. Mostly for use to work and back though, hence the requirement for the "140km/h".

He doesn't "like" road bikes (but I am thinking he is referring to sports-bikes, due to their seating poistion.)

He said he was looking at the "Big Boy" and Puzey's bikes etc, but is not keen since he is unsure of after-sales backup in Tzaneen for these brands.

I would naturally be inclined to suggest a BMW, but this is waaaay over his R20k mark.  :mwink:

So I am a little stumped.

Other thoughts would include a motard, or other more upright bike... but for R20K?

What do you guys suggest? Anything in his price range?

Perhaps an old KLR?

Or should he save a bit more and look for a good second-hand 650GS or V-Strom?

P.S. I have warned him that myself, together with a whole bunch of my biker buddies will come "visit" him if I find out he riding without his ATGATT  :biggrin: