Himeville

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rogerd

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
We decided to ride up to Himeville near Underberg with friends Tony and Sue, spend the night and then head back the next day. The plan was to ride up to Nottingham Road, take the wonderfully scenic P27-2 via Lotheni to Himeville and then ride back on the tarred R617. We woke on Sunday morning to mist, drizzle and cold conditions. Bugger! I called Tony and he agreed we should reverse the trip - he too didn't feel like wrestling a fully loaded GS along 80 or so kilometers of muddy dirt road. In retrospect, I think we could easily have done it as there was not much actual rain - just miserable misty conditions.

Our first stop after leaving Howick was for lunch at The Birds in the Barley pub in the little, hangliding town of Bulwer. Hardly sophisticated dining but it had a delightful, warm atmosphere with good, simple food. An ancient, wood burning stove belched the occasional puff of sweet smelling smoke and took the chilly edge of the air. Road conditions to this point were actually not too bad. What blew me away completely (sometimes almost literally) was the driving of many of the cars. Jeeeze! No wonder the accident rate is what it is. (Does Touratech do rocket launchers for GSA’s?  :angryfire:)

While we were having lunch, the mist came down and so did the rain. The ride to Underberg was pretty difficult with cars full of holidaying families doing the most astounding things in the poor visibility. We arrived unscathed (how strange…!) at the Himeville Arms, checked in to two very comfortable but basic rooms (R400-00 per night per person B&B) and then headed out to explore. What we found was the most amazing Illy cappuccinos and chocolate brownies at The Grind Café at the Underberg Village Mall.

451327.jpg

Dinner was a leisurely affair (read: crap service) but if you are not in a hurry, the pub at the Himeville Arms is really great as is their Tai Chicken and Prawn curry that eventually arrived. While Tony and Sue elected to do a early morning walk around town (and found the rather special Amur Falcon (previously called Eastern Redfooted Kestrel) roosting site), Pat an I headed out to look for photo opportunities. The morning was amazing: Clear blue skies, beautiful light and patched of mist hugging the valleys. It was all very wonderful until I dropped my lens onto a rock! (Lesson? Don’t operate a camera with gloves on.) Unfortunately that took care of the pix – the last couple of the way home were done with my cell phone.

451333.jpg

451335.jpg

451338-Edit.jpg

451343.jpg

451364.jpg

451374.jpg

451404s.jpg

451405s.jpg

After Breakfast we headed out past the turn-off to Sani Pass and along the P27-2 to Nottingham Road. We took it very slowly enjoying the scenery, stopping every now and then to take in a spectacular view or waterfall or… There were very few cars to deal with and after, stopping to pump up the tyres when we reached the tar, enjoyed the twisty turnies in to Nottingham road where we had a most enjoyable lunch at Jardines Café Bar Deli.
It was then onto the N3 for the last bit home. What a delightful ride.

Must do it again. Soon!