How about making a long range tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixit

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
I remember as a laatie, my old man rode the "Roof" on a XL350 (if I can remember correctly).
Anyway those years camel tanks were really difficult to get, if at all.

I still remember how him and Roy Lindley made their own tanks out of fiber glass. First pollystyerene shaped and glassed over it. They moulded plastic caps and a fuel outlets in place.
When they were all finished, they just poured petrol in and rinsed out the polly. They sprayed them a bright mat orange and covered them with sticker ads to hide the poor finish.

Anyway, I've been wanting a long range tank for my GS, but at R15 000, thats not going to be happening in a hurry, so I did some homework on different options/ possible ways to make tanks for all different models.

Fiber glass almost always gets eaten by the bi-chemicals in todays fuels so that is not an option.

I've been looking at rotational moulding as this seems to be the cheapest & safest way to make a tank. Obviously one would have to make quite a few tanks to make it viable.

Any other thoughts or ideas out there?

Latest posts