How aircooled works

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRK Miller

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Can anybody please explain to me the following. About the air cooled. I have a great issue with that, mainly because my logic cannot explain to me how the air cooled keeps cool, especially on very technical, or sandy stretches, which i battle with emensly. Like on a recent trip. It was about 34 degrees ++ on a northwest very sandy road, and i just could not get going. Low speed at 3500 r/min stop and start. The klr was boiling, even with the fan on. So how does air cooled keep cool in those conditions, and when do you know you are overheating it, and have to stop, for it to cool off, to avoid serious damage since it has no temp gauge
The problem is. Like in the northwest for instance. Very slow riding, no breeze to speak of so very little to no airflow in some cases, even over the oilcooler. What are the chances of overheating, and getting damage say for instance on the top end where cams run in the head. James Rex. Mine also heats up in traffic, hence the overide on the fan. I believe and know aircooled are awesome, but the not knowing where the temp is, where the point of causing damage is, that is my problem, as bikes are expensive to repair. The question can be asked, is there any one with experience in such very hot conditions, slow tech riding, through thick sand. Climbing over rocks, working the bike real hard, and they can say bike was alright. Think i must chat to metal jocky on wild dogs. They did namb , sand rocks . Not sure if there bike are air cooled. Thank you all for the input