How to re-register an "archived" bike or vehicle.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwannieBraai

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
As I walked this route with the R80, I thought of sharing it with you.

Assign to correct board pls mods.

Things you MUST know:
1. It is against the law to buy or sell an  unlicensed vehicle

2. If you still want the vehicle and it does not have any papers, then get the following from seller:
  a) Get the license/ VIN and engine nr and check with the licensing authorities or SAPS beforehand, if it is not stolen.
      If it is in the archives, find out what the late fees, penalties etc will be, you will be charged from 1 April 2007 for all the    fees if it is in the archive currently.
  b) If you prefer to move on with the sale, then get an Invoice/Sales agreement from the seller where all the details of the seller, vehicle and buyer is on, adress, ID nrs, price, bike's VIN and engine nr etc.
  c) Let the seller make a sworn affidavit at the SAPS as where he got the vehicle, that he does not have the papers, that it is paid for in full, his physical adress, the lot!

3. Yourself, make a sworn affidavit as where you bought the vehicle, all, like in (1(b) above.

4. Take all the affidavits, invoice, sales agreement to the licensing people, ask for a G2 record and RPI form for the vehicle.

5. They will provide you with the RPI, G2 record, MVA/VDC and Weighbridge Form (in case of a car), now take all the paperwork you have so far and take the vehicle to the SAPS or wherever they can do the RPI.

a) Find the bike/vehicle's VIN, engine nr beforehand to save time and schlep. In the case of an old BMW bike, go to Snowburne's "ENGINE AND FRAME NUMBERS IDENTIFICATION", https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/IDnumbers.htm
Study it thoroughly, make a printout and take to the SAPS, believe me they are quite uneducated regarding frame nrs, especially when it comes to Beemers and Bobbers, they will insist perhaps that it must be punched into the frame, as the reality is before 1996 it was not the case.
Also they can get confused with the engine and VIN nrs being the same in many cases and have it mixed up with the "engine ser nr", which is not the engine nr itself.

b) The vehicle must be driven into the SAPS yard (Stikland's case) but others dont care if a bike is on the back of the bakkie.

6. Once the cops did the RPI, stop by the roadworthy centre and have them filled out the MVA/VDC 01/03, also get a weighbridge certificate for a car, not necessary for a bike.

7. Take all paperwork back to the licensing people, fill in BLUE FORM, they will submit it and if approved, then the vehicle will be re-introduced to the system, here in Milnerton it took 3 days, then they will call you, then go fetch the RPC form, have your vehicle DATA-DOTTED and take it all to the SAPS again for clearance.

8. Hand in the RPC from at the  license authorities and wait another day or 2 (hopefully), then they will call you to go and register the vehicle, at this point they can tell you the exact amount needed to be paid.

9. If not done yet, go do the RWC of the vehicle, return and get your disc at the license peeps.

Voilla! Hope this helps someone in the future!

For the Cape Town dogs, some actual and costly experience I had:

1. I did check the frame and engine nr beforehand and knew it could be a schlep.
2. The seller did not want to give me any papers, no invoice , nadah,  . . . PROBLEM
3. I went to Stikland, bike on the bakkie, they almost confiscated it as I had no G2 record or invoice with me, no they said, go find the previous owner, off I go
4. Found the previous registered owner, he had to do an affidavit, ID, the whole lot and post it to me
5. Rock up at Stikland again, nope they said it MUST have a VIN nr punched into it . . . :dousing:, only after this encounter I went online to search all about engine and VIN nr's and BEFORE 1996 a vehicle was not required to have it punched out, a plate was acceptable, SO TELL THE COP THAT!!
6. Now I'm not lekker, so phoned Malmesbury SAPS, yes said the cop, bring the bike in for RPI clearance, came there, oops here he finds the engine ser nr on the sump, now there is 2 conflicting nr's on the engine . . . now he is scared, uneducated .  I show him the whole article of Snowburne,  , , no faith in that, he sends me to the SAPS Vehicle Theft unit in Stellenbosch.
7. The man in Stlbsch is by grace an old school person, who knows about all the "BMW nr's" etc, he signs the  RPI, jippieeeeee, 1 step ahead, after 500km of to and fro traveling between SAPS stations!
8. I handed in all the forms, 3 days later they emailed me, RPC is ready, they mailed it to me, (Tania in Milnerton office)
9. Off to Malmesbury again, the cop did not check the Data Dot the previous time, so the bike had to go in again, he made copies of all the affidavits etc, signed and stamped the RPC,
10. I emailed the RPC back to Milnerton, so now I am waiting for them to call me to go register the bike, the original RPC form must also be handed in when registering

I believe it may vary from province to province, office to office.
What I have found that sometimes you get a lekker dof person, then just go stand in the line again for the next "not so dof" person, this also worked for me countless times.

Sterkte, druk deur, its worth it!!  :thumleft:

Attachments

• G2 RECORDS (ARCHIVED VEHICLES).jpg
    G2 RECORDS (ARCHIVED VEHICLES).jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 102
  • MVA_VDC.jpg
    MVA_VDC.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 101
  • BLOU VORM.jpg
    BLOU VORM.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 103