HP2 starter turning "slow"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacoM

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
I see Gerhad had a starter discussion going, but mine has different symptoms.

It sometimes turns the engine extremely slow - just as I think it will go and "stand", the engine fires. No grrr. sounds or anything, just turning slow. This is more likely to happen when the engine is warm, typically starting again after a couple of minutes after switched off. Sometimes it turns the engine at normal speed!

I keep the battery fully loaded all the time (Optimate 3+). I bought the bike last year and the previous owner replaced the battery with a new, non BMW-battery. At first I thought it was the battery, so I replaced it with a BMW-supplied one. Same problem with the new unit. BMW checked the starting current and charging current - Apparently wthin spec, allthough I can no say if they tested it while starter was "turning slow"

What bothers me is that Kalahari Leeu tells me his HP does something simular. Is this a HP starter specific problem? His bike is on 20000km and mine 30000km.
Anyone with a simular experience and should I worry about this? Would like to have it turn nicely all the time without any worries!
Would appreciate your comments.