Introduction

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
Hi all,

I have been lurking the forum for about a week, thought it about time to give a bit of an introduction.

Let me start off by saying that this place is highly addictive, especially the ride reports section. I hope to contribute a report or two of my own in the near future. Shout out to [member=13184]Noneking[/member] , I am loving the posts, and working through each report systematically. You are hitting the nail on the head. Keep the eye candy coming. :thumleft:

Anyway, a bit about myself:

My name is Ryan. My username has a typo which I can't change, meant to be Stealth.Chicken, which is a old gaming name of one of my childhood friends that I stole and have been using. Anyway it will have tostay as that I guess :lol8:

A bit of background.. As far back as I remember I have had a love for bikes. Some of my earliest memories of my love for bikes was begging my mom to buy the monthly BikeSA magazine for me to perv over. As well as the occasional AutoTrader magazine for me to look through the bike section and wish that one day I would be able to buy one for myself. When I was around 12 years old my father got involved in a golf estate development. The land used to be a old mine dump, so there was plenty of earth moving going on in the early stages of the development. The old man and his partner decided to buy dirt bikes to ride around site and check up on all the progress. We then would lend his partners bike and I started riding with him too. We did this for a while until the development took proper shape, which then prohibited riding. At which point the bikes were sold. Around the same time my uncle and cousin who stay in KZN started doing some enduro riding, they got really involved in the whole thing and are to this day still involved in organising a few enduro events. To cut a long story short another plastic was bought and quite a bit of enduro riding was enjoyed.

Fast forward to about 3 years ago, my mate bought a F800GS. He was studying animal science and wanted something to commute with as well as have the ability to go and do farm visits with. At this stage I was also still studying and my father refused to enter into any discussion with me about getting any sort of road legal bike. His cousin had died on one years ago, so it was never something that I would get him to buy for me. On a Friday afternoon about 6 months ago I was visiting my friend, the one with the F800. He had done his learners but never did the test. The learners had expired and he had to rewrite it. He mentioned this to me and I jumped on the bandwagon. We booked online that afternoon to write the next week. I booked and did my licence about a month later. Once I had my learners I started looking at a Duke to save some money on my commute. I then started researching and thinking about the type of riding that I would love to do. Loading the bike up and going on a cross country trip with the option of getting off the beaten path really appealed to me. I was soon in the market for an adventure bike. I test rode the R1200GS and the Tiger. I then got on both the 1190 and 1050 and fell in love with the KTM's! The newer 1290 and 1090 were a bit out of my price range. So the search for either 1190 or 1050 began. I was very lucky to find an amazing deal on a 1190 that wasn't even on the market at first, but that is a whole different story. I have had my bike for 2 months now and have put about 3500km on it. Done a couple of day trips in Mpumalanga, North West and Free State. As well as overnighters in Clarens and Utrecht (in the Newcasle area).

I am really looking forward to what the future holds, and I am very glad I came across the forum and community. There is a good thing going here. Looking forward to future interactions with everyone, and really looking forward to learning everything I can. :thumleft:

This has turned into a pretty long post, sorry for that.

Cheers,
Ryan