Is my tire written off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceS

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R100GS / Kalahari
My metzler sahara rear tire was punctured by a 5 inch nail. As the tire deflated with the nail in it, the tip of the nail must have hit the rim, bending the nail, which then punctured the sidewall of the tire from inside, about 5mm above the rim. I put a worm type plug in the hole on the "treaded surface" of the tire, before I noticed the hole in the sidewall. I thought it probably wasn't a good idea to put a plug in the sidewall. I had an old tire at home, and my wife brought it and the "bead breakr" tool I bought in Dec, to where I was stuck in the CBD. The bead breakr worked fantastically as I did my first tubeless tire change on the side of the road. It took me an hour to get the old tire off and new tire onto the rim, and another hour to seat the bead. The fuel station air hose simply doesn't deliver air quickly enough - I spent an hour trying. I was ready to try the tourniquet technique where you put a rope round the tire to help it seal, when I discovered the trick was to use one of those CO2 bombs. All in all I spent 2 hours doing something I could possibly get done in 30 mins - I'll test myself when I change the tire again shortly  :mwink:.

I've only done about 2000 km's on the tire and I'd really like to use up the rest of the tread on the tire. My question is, has anybody managed (successfully) to repair a sidewall puncture? Possibly with a mushroom plug? (apparently they're better than the worms).

I can always put in a tube. If I do that, should I remove the plug I put in so that it will not chafe the tube?