Jules and Li Ride the Dome, Sunday 11th Jan 08

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

Race Dog
WD Vendor
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1190 Adventure
What a nice day for ridding!

The clouds threatened to drench us for most of the day but not a drop was felt. It was nice and cool and the roads were very pleasant.

There was some mud here and their but only in small stretches. The main benefit of the damp roads was that we had very little dust to contend with.

We left the meeting point at 7:25am and made our way south!
The technical section through Randfontien was slow going and we only did 30km in the first 2 hours.

Our only casualty for the day was Wild Hearted Son who decided to make some Mud Angels with his BIG Dr800 and went down in spectacular fashion.The DR landed hard and broke its clutch lever, after about 200 cable ties out resident engineer Gunda Gunda deemed it un-fixable and WHS decided to limp the bike home. We gave him a push start and he was off, I hope all the lights were green mate!

We then made our way to Parys for brunch where we met up with the rest of the dogs.

After lunch we did the Parys dome and surrounds and then headed via some more dirt roads for home. Just outside of Parys we came upon a rather serious looking river crossing, The water was flowing at a very rapid rate. When a local in a 4x4 showed reluctance in crossing we knew it was serious.
PotHoles decided to walk his KLR through to "test the waters"

It seemed to be a clear path under the raging water and I took a chance and rode through, I could feel the huge drag on the bike as I made my crossing and almost had a moment when my new MX Boot decided to kick the KLR all the way into 3rd  :eek:  I managed to gain control and was through :thumleft:

Nomad and his mate on the DR650 both did the crossing with no problem but the rest were not convinced and decided to take the detour and meet up with us further down the road.

The rest of the trip was on fast wide dirt roads and was completed with no incidents.

We we home at around 4pm.

My camera died on me as I tried to take my first picture for the day so I hope someone else will post some pictures.

Thanks for joining us

Jules and Li

Latest posts