K60 Scout first impressions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlakhaas

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Took the GSA out today for a lekker long ride, a new TKC in front and for the first time a Heidi K60 Scout (new pattern) on the rear, and I was very impressed.

On tar at 140-160, 28 degrees outside at 2.6 bar the tyre ran very cool. On very loose, eroded gravel at 1.7 bar I was very happy with the grip and the way the tyre tracked. It stayed behind the front beautifully on a road that looked like a carpet bombed marble factory.

A short piece of dry river bed was a bitch, but it was by then 34 degrees and the sand was deep and loose. I could still get the bike to plane on the sand and stand on the pegs after a short paddle.

I normally ran TKC's front and back but this TKC front/Scout rear combination feels great. Time will tell what kind of mileage I will get, which was actually the purpose of this experiment.

Compared to the TKC rear, which I loved but the mileage was crap, I found the Scout to be better on tar and far better on wet tar, about the same on loose gravel, and slightly less good on deep, loose sand. We did not encounter mud worth mentioning. As I seldom ride more than 50 meters of serious sand, this is not an issue for me.

The scout has very stiff sidewalls, but fitting it with a buddy, two short tyre levers and silicone spray was actually a lot easier than I expected. The bead also seated perfectly the first time it was aired up. Will post a photo at around 4000 kms to show wear.

PS: Only my 2c, I am not a vendor  ;D

Latest posts