Kakakeng.....would the answer be YES.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Hardy

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 950 Adventure
Mark and Malibu

This was one weekend that I was really looking forward to for a number of reasons. The last two months at the office had fried my brain, not something hard to do, but I was in serious need of finding some headspace and what better way than riding. Also the Amageza was being run that weekend and I was so pissed off that I could not make it, but that’s another story for another time. Judy and I had not been away for a relaxing weekend for sometime and this seemed like a good excuse to pack the bikes and just get out of JHB. And I have not ridden in the area around Waterberg and Swifty had promised an enjoyable ride for Saturday.

And I had a question for Judy that just needed a one word answer and I needed time to think about how to word the question and set it up.

Work and it’s ever changing moods played along and at the last minute allowed me to have the weekend off. So dues were paid and the office notified that I would be away the weekend and to please LEAVE ME THE F*&K ALONE. Judes managed to get away from her office by early afternoon and rode straight through to my office. We had packed the night before and were loaded and ready to go. By 3pm we were making our way out of Midrand and heading for Makekeng. We decided to tar it along the N1 to Hamanskraal, and then take the R101 for the rest of the way. Even though we were on tar it was still good to be on loaded bikes and riding to who know what.

Along the way Judes was indicating she wanted biltong, we have developed quite a good sign language while riding. Normally involves a lot of arm waving and nodding, and then understanding when one of us finally stops and the verbal confirmation can ensue. I spotted a little road side biltong shop, Judes ran in like a little girl going into a candy store for the first time and quickly came running back out, cap in hand. “ You gotta have this…yes…no” she shouted. There was that one worded question…. Yes I said. Me trying to set the tone for all answers for the weekend. But how could I say no to cap like this….

I don’t usually wear a cap but hey, for some reason I just had to have it.

The ride to Makekeng was uneventful except for the beautiful sunset and moon rise we experienced before getting to the camp. Bikes were parked, beer opened and then tent set up. By the time it was dark we were set up and ready for the weekend. Sorry no pics of the first night, the camera stayed in the tent as there was some catching up to do with fellow dawgs. I’ll let Judy explain the Brandy Bottle 

More later…