Kameelriver loop - western Mpumalanga

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
It was decided to do a day ride starting at Verena heading north up to Rhenosterkop dam and back down again trying to avoid as much as highway dirt as possible and off course tar but that is a given  :biggrin:
The whole day would be around 200km and take a full day to complete. Some river crossings, navigating single track and grasslands lay ahead. I packed my Mojavi bag with the essentials and a rain jacket just in case, also contemplated on fitting my stock tank but decided to stick to the big boy - only filling it halfway. The basic route looked like this :

loop2_zps4a7f9ef9.jpg

Initially we would have been 5 guys but ended up being two heading into the bush. We left Verena just after 9 hopping over the R25 and straight onto some dirt.

IMG_3677_zps48c8bbd5.jpg

The dirt leading towards Loskop was followed for a short distance before turning left onto the good stuff. Conditions were perfect, some cloud cover and not too hot and endless tracks with no one in sight.

IMG_3681_zpsbb3fd516.jpg

IMG_3682_zps1028e0d3.jpg

Even the rocky hills got the green treatment after the recent rains.

IMG_3686_zps50f409e6.jpg

Down into the valley following some cattle tracks, off camber in some places but alot of fun to ride

IMG_3687_zps72233511.jpg

Dirtwarp pinning it, sorry too late to catch your wheelie  :biggrin:

IMG_3688_zps8a74d682.jpg

Another riverbed to play in, I rode up and down the bank crossing a couple of times.

IMG_3693_zpsa3765fef.jpg

IMG_3694_zpsdbd776f3.jpg

Through a village before the track opened up into some grass lands. You could really open it up here, great fun. Believe it was out Elandsdoorn way.

IMG_3691_zps2ff5d774.jpg

IMG_3695_zps9e7f13b1.jpg

Alot of grip through the corners the dirt still had moisture underneath and very little dust

IMG_3690_zpsdc49a81f.jpg

Time for a quick stop as we bought some cool drinks before heading back on track. Saw my rear indicators were coming apart, cheap shit. Time to dig deep and buy some DRC flush mounted led units it's the only ones I have found that can take the offroad abuse.

Took one of the smaller turn offs followed the trail for a couple of km's and things got more interesting.

IMG_3697_zps95c215a8.jpg

Then came upon the perfect spot to have some lunch, two small catchment dams with some fresh water on tap - yes this will do !

IMG_3700_zps078150d1.jpg

Pretty cool discovering places like this and no cellphone reception either. Spend about an hour here just chilling.

IMG_3701_zpsf80405fe.jpg

IMG_3704_zps329d1d08.jpg

Back on track as we reached the halfway point of the days ride, it was now becoming quite humid and the bikes fans kicked into gear and did their job. I recently added Maxima's "Cool Aide" to my radiator replacing the previous Motul Radicool, certainly seems to run cooler.

Looking for a way to cross, managed to do it and keep my feet dry !

IMG_3722_zps5e08ea11.jpg

Dirtwarp chillin after the second lunch stop

IMG_3724_zpse301d537.jpg

After making our way back we had to cross the small river again but this time down stream, never rode this section before as we followed some power lines running through the veld. Checking for a place to cross

IMG_3728_zps583b5e35.jpg

Got a line and sailed through no problem, now this was some nice riding !

IMG_3729_zpsf6cce46b.jpg

Last part took us back to Verena to complete the loop

IMG_3730_zps169e22ae.jpg

Just missed the rain, good times

IMG_3736_zpsd261799c.jpg