Karoo Weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

van der Walt

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL1000V Varadero
So with the ipod blasting in my ears, the wife and I rode out the gate
and directed the bike towards Prince Albert along the N1, at last!!!!!!!!!!!

We decided to stick to the boring N so that we could get to PA before dark
and the clouds above looked a bit on the dark side, so what! Itâ??s all about getting out there.

This picture was taken just outside Laingsburg and the vrou a bit on the cold side
so the Wimpy was calling and some coffee will do the trick.

We rode into Prince Albert just before sunset and what a sight with the beautiful mountain range around PA.
We stayed over at the Karoo Lodge and this is a definite must for any one traveling through Prince Albert.
Clean rooms, excellent hospitality and food to die for. There is a nice pool for the summer days etc.
After some lekke dinner at one of the restaurants and a overdose on red wine it was bed time.
And yes I had a pounding head the next day and riding a twin does not help!
We couldnâ??t feel a bit sad to ride out of such a nice town and a piece of me stayed there and will go back to fetch it.

We decided to ride from Prince Albert along Meiringspoort towards De Rust.
What a beautiful section of road and the scenery, unbelievable. There are these rest spots along the road,
upkeep by conservation and the ablution facilities will put some 3 star guest lodges to shame!

We rode into one spot with a waterfall ant the people there are quite happy to keep your helmets
etc in a safe place while you look around and go up to the fall, excellent. Riding past this is a sin!!!

After this we set off to the town of De Rust for a cold one or it was more , can't remember..

With the help of a nice oke on a 1200GS I found the road leading to Calitzdorp,
this was one of the best gravel roads I have ever done. The wildlife on this road is unbelievable
with game lodges everywhere. Its difficult to concentrate here as there is just so much to take in!

We rode into Calitzdorp ar about 13:00 and we stayed over at the Spekboom cottages.
Again excellent value for money! And the hospitality etc makes you feel so at home.
The lodge has got a nice bar and also a big screen for the rugby.
All the okes from the town came there the night to watch the bulls loose (again) ;D
like usual we were the last ones in the pup that night and the owner opened one of his best bottles of whiskey,
almost 20years old!!!! Wes again pounding head for breakfast!!!
Speaking of which, the breakfast at the cottage is inclusive and suited the hospitality and facilities, excellent!!

Ek en die baas van die plaas. Dankie vir die whiskey oom!!!!

We left Calitzdorp the Sunday morning on the route 62 and rode to the Seweweekspoort turn off.
This road goes all the way back to Laingsburg but the clouds around the mountains was a bit of a worry to me.
Luckily my wife is game for everything so off we went.
Again itâ??s a sin to ride past this road. You constantly need to watch the speedo
as this road is in such good nick that you tend to over speed.
The mountains and wildlife is again breathtaking and felt sad when the gravel ended just before Laingsburg!!

Any one looking for a Landy?

Having the last cold one before hitting the N1 back to Ceres and then Home.

Total distance covered: 1240 ks and every one worth it!!!!!!

The end. Its a pity I tell you!