• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Kawasaki KLR 650 2008: R 30000 *SOLD*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
I've had this KLR since the end of 2007.  In that time, as a single child, it has been extremely practical and fulfilled many roles - commuter, tourer and dirt bike.  Things are changing though, with a new sibling in the garage that has taken over the two former roles, the KLR has become a bit of a white elephant.  It stands around a lot looking miserable, toeing the ground and hoping for better days.  It also doesn't really inspire or excite anymore, with the Explorer having stolen all it's (perceived) thunder.  So what I would like to achieve is to replace it with something a little further away from the Triumph on the scale - a bike that will get me excited again for riding offroad, but without the need of having to trailer anything.

It saddens me deeply though, since we've had some really great times.  It has never been perfect - started with oil burning, and still uses a bit of oil but I think that's just the way I ride it.  Currently the jetting needs a bit of attention, and it needs a fairly serious service with chain, sprockets, valve clearance check and some new shoes - but most of the issues I've had have been my own doing / stupidity.  It has however always been reliable and has taken us to some really spectacular places (the WHOLE of Lesotho, Moz all the way up to Inhambane, 7 of our 9 provinces).

It has been used though.  The rear plastics are quite badly scuffed from using soft panniers without a frame on this little ride around the countryside.  The front plastics have some minor scuffs from small lapses of talent.  It has however never been in any major impacts.  A LOT of Loctite and generally poor workmanship on my part when fitting bling are also included in the deal.  Rear rim has slight smiley.  Some rubbers seem to be perishing, and the throttle grip doesn't exactly grip the throttle so well anymore.

It will also make anyone of any skill level look like a riding god, as reported here.

I might also have over-capitalised on it a little.  The farkles currently fitted are thus, from the front:
Zeta hand guards
Rox vibration-damped risers incl. custom choke cable
Wilbers progressive springs in the fork
DOCTOR KLR Bash plate
SW-Motech Crash bars rubber mounted by yours truly, with a dodgy weld on the left bar where it had cracked
Doohickey by Groenie
Hella power socket by Groenie
Happy Trails rear brake reservoir guard
IMS Fastway footpegs (missing 3 cleats total)
Jules raising linkage
Kappa rear pannier frames
Wilbers fully adjustable rear shock
"Tail tidy"
Sealed wheelbearings all around
LeCap bolt kit (badly applied)

Pictures can be perused below - it has 37000 km on the clock.

R 30000

Attachments

• 1 crop.jpg
    1 crop.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 947
  • 2 crop.jpg
    2 crop.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 947
  • 3 crop.jpg
    3 crop.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 939
  • 4 crop.jpg