Kawasaki KLR650 - My Impressions/Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TVB

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL650V Transalp
Since 2004 I wanted a KLR650. Why? Because I am a Kawasaki fan since the mid 80’s starting out as a teenager on my uncle’s old Z750. Those were the days; we did dirt with our inline 4’s and had endless days of fun! I was always strapped for cash, being a fireman and medic and used to work or ‘serve for love. I will always be a fireman at heart, but unfortunately one of the most unappreciative occupations in SA. Not that we want or wanted more attention, but working with peoples life’s, extricating entrapped patients, come rain or cold, suicides, murders…name it!
However, this was not supposed to be an outcry for the SA Fireman but rather praises to the humble (?) Kawasaki KLR. As I said, I always wanted one but had to settle for a DR200 (Supposedly mend to be the wife’s but we all know the ‘treat the wife story…!) Finally financial stability after taking care of the families needs and treated myself November 2010 with a brand new KLR650. I am a contractor (freelance medic now) and therefore have to buy everything cash. Words can’t do justice to the feeling the day I drove out of Mean Machines Showroom!
I ignored all the warnings of: Not good off-road, do the doo, beware of oil usage, the suspension, and the else. What mattered, I loved the KLR from the start and took the leap of faith and bought mine.
My impressions and experience:  ::)
I asked Mean Machine to do the registration, fit craschbars and hand guards and collected after 2 days. They were very professional, the service was excellent!  :thumleft: I fitted a centre stand and extension ‘dogs’ to make her a bit higher in the rear at Dr. KLR. This centre stand was my only headache till now. It needed a spacer and I bought a big flat and spring washer to take care of the play (clank clank madness!!) The other problem with this stand is the excuse for a spring, it can’t stretch far enough and instantly become stretched out. Replace the spring with a proper one and problem solved. I fitted givi pannier brackets and 20L panniers (way to small….I regret buying them but at least I got the brackets now and can fit either bigger givi panniers or soft luggage….think Ill go with the soft luggage.
I did one fairly long distance trip from Brits to Lephalale and back. She took the potholes on the Thabazimbi road quite well as well as the off-road with pillion on sand sure footed. Never a nerves moment, although my wife got stressed when a hippopotamus decided to have a closer look at this thumper!
What am I trying to say? The Klr is a fun and reliable motorbike with little hiccups. What surprises me is that it’s still selling in great numbers in SA and the USA despite a lot of other models on the market. The marines were quite happy in Iraq with their KLR’s, I had the privilege of speaking with them (and I saw them in action!)When I worked there in 2005/6. The KLR had the same cult following in the US as the old XR500/600/650 due to the old SADF!
I did mud, sand, tar (60%) and rain, then some more rain and had to name her the ‘Rain frog’. I went to the Ethiopian Embassy over a 3 day period in time and the rain somehow always finds us on the road. I am used to it by now, even enjoying it and never felt nerves. The KLR is a surefooted D/S bike and have a fair suspension for its price. Don’t get me wrong, I pillion 50% of the time and the rear shock is set on nr 5. It can do with a firmer setup and I will have to upgrade the rear spring. There is  better stiffer spring available on the market. Although it is not (yet) bottoming out it is soft off-road.
The KLR took just over 2000, maybe 2500 km before loosening up but she is delivering lively performance for a 650 thumper now. I hardly ever have to downshift when overtaking between 90 and 110km/h. There is always enough power on tap to accelerate quick and safe due to a broad band of nm.
However, no matter how I sing the praises for the KLR650, there will always be a lot of critics who would like to run it down especially on this ‘much-loved’ forum. I also like BMW’s reliable 650 Rotax, the DR650 and the TransAlp700….KTM990. However,  the KLR will deliver mile after mile. She is used worldwide for cross continental trips, the simplicity obviously in her favor. I would not bother to take her for another service either than maybe valve clearance. 
Will I buy another one? Without hesitation YES!!
If you are looking for a very capable, affordable, comfortable and reliable DS bike, look no further than the KLR650! If you buy second hand, watch out for the first imports of the new shape (late 2007 early 2008) for they were the oil burners.
I am about to leave for a contract in Ethiopia (unfortunately by air!) and will miss my KLR dearly. Give me more reason to come home on leave and ride!  :laughing4:

Latest posts