Kei to Transkei, and home via Cradock and Amatola Mountains

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL1000V Varadero
Saturday 13th at 6-00am, who's idea was this anyay. We met at the Sasol garage in East London next to the N2. The trip was planned for 8 of us to head up to Macleatown and we were to be joined by Johnathan. At least he rode a Japanese bike so I felt at home on the Hoinda. You know how these Bm's just seem to be everywhere.

From Macleantown the grop, now 9 of us head off to Bolo where we were to split up as only three of s were going to do the full trip. On this part of the journey we had our first casualty. Spoedvark (Mr Hi-jack) went down in the mud. Tis is always a good tester at a beginning of a trip.

We split up at Bolo and the three of us headed off to the ei river. Some of the team had to return home for family duties. At the Kei rver however we had accumulated an extra rider, David Beard, and we had to turn him around to return. The Kei River is flowing strong with a lot of mud. (There goes the top soil)

Now it was time to had on up through the Transkei. It has its own beauty but man you have to watch out for the sheep.

Unfortunately, soil errosin is a reality in this region and now you know why the Kei is so brown.

The trip took a wrong turn via the Xnoxa Dam on route back to Queenstow for our night over.
We had an eventful time once in Queenstown to try and find Hunters Lodge, which is in fact Roydon B&B. But once we got there it was  great place for the evening and to watch rugby.
Unfortunately on Sunday 14th, Pickle baled out and headed back to EL as he as not feeling so well. BigG and Rat were left to complete the trip, but we were not going back. This had to be one of the best days in my riding career.

Then unfortunately it was home via tar, but we did 670km and only about 150km on tar. We will be back in these mountains shortly and there is just so much to see up there.

Sorry but I cannot load any more pic's so I am going to have to learn how to do these reports.

Attachments

• IMG_0657 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0657 (Medium).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_0660 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0660 (Medium).JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0662 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0662 (Medium).JPG
    69 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_0665 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0665 (Medium).JPG