• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Wild Dog Adventure Riding and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Keihin FCR 39mm carbs x 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
They used to be on a 990 engine. They did around 10 000km and 2 Amageza's.
They are used on many other bikes in the 400-640 range if you are wanting to tinker.
They are racing pumper carbs so have a lovely immediate pickup with a lot of torque, but suck fuel if you have a heavy hand as a result of the pumper. If you ride with a steady hand, they can be on par with OEM.
If you are wanting to put them on a LC8 they will require a LOT of fiddling and dyno work. They are not plug and play. But once you get them to work, they are fun! The throttle pull is pretty fierce through as you are having to open two carbs. You can get different throttle cams or swap out the return springs.
I have a selection of jets that will come with them.

Honesty section;
I bought them second hand from a guy who couldn't get them to work. I had them on Julians dyno multiple times and had to run them with no jet in the idle air jet. Why? We never found out. I suspect it was to do with 990 engine and 950 cams. 990 cams are designed for FI and not carb. I had just too many variables.
They come with a throttle cable that is designed so that they can be mounted onto a 950 with a splitter for the cables. You will have to have the cable re-cabled as there is wear on one cables close to the carb. I also had them wired so that the push cable came out too short and thus they are only pullers.
The pump on one of them had a slight leak. This pump has no gasket just finely machined plates that are bolted together. I used a very thin film of petrol resistant sealant to solve the issue.
The threads on the bowls are easily over torqued. I changed the bolts to longer steel ones that go all the way with nuts behind them just in case.
All the overflow pipes will need to be replaced, I didn't think they were worth including.

I also bought longer throats from Cosentino Engineering, but the original throats and filters are included.

R11500 for the lot.

Adapter for throttle position sensor for 950

The throttle cable splitter

This is what they looked like semi-mounted;