KLE500 workover

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuzzy Muzzy

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Having a 4 or 5 bike garage sometimes means that a bike gets put in a corner and not looked at for a while.

When I was restoring my Transalp a few mates decided to do 14 days through Namibia.. who can turn that down?. So I bought this KLE to do the trip with, 14 days of bliss besides a cooked battery along the way.. when I got back from the trip the starter clutch was starting to give hassles with a few other niggly bits so I started getting that done and then got distracted for about 2 years with finishing up the Transalp and the 450X rally bike build.

I've had a lot of time on my hands with CV-19 and a broken collarbone so i'm starting to catch up on all the stuff i've been meaning to get to.. which involves phoning mates and bribing them with beer and a bike trip in December to come and do some bits that are above my pay grade. .

Everything was going along really smooth, valve clearances done, carb rebuilt but the CDI has burnt from something, potentially from the battery problem i had with the bike, i'm not sure., The problem is that trying to find a second hand CDI is like finding chickens teeth for these bikes. I'm not sure of the values when it comes to a CDI? anyone with experience in refurbishing these? potentially as an option . i've tried every bike graveyard I can think of.

Attachments

• 20201014_205002.jpg
    20201014_205002.jpg
    826.5 KB · Views: 533