KLR surprise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Red Adventure

Ok so my opinion of the 2008 KLR has up to now been:
A good looking farm bike only good for gravel trips at moderate speeds. :3some:

So this past weekend I am joined by "Solicitor"; his friend on "Strawberry Milkshake's" bike; two old shape KLRs (one carrying a pillion) and Rick Olivant on a 2008 KLR on another trip to Middelpos. :ricky:

A good balance of 3 BMW 650s and 3 KLR650s.  ;)

I'm ready for a slow pace cruise through the Tankwa as Rick and the other KLR rider are mature in age and the third KLR is carrying a pillion.

Well this is short lived when we hit the gravel and Rick breaks formation and pulls in next to me and claims his place as wingman for the trip ahead.

Now it doesn't take very much to get me to up the pace a little bit. :mwink: We turn off onto a jeep track and I give in to pressure of a burping Scotch pipe next to me and decide to put some distance between the stirring KLR and my XCountry. :pot: Well to my first surprise this just gets Rick more determined to turn up the pressure and we spent the next few hours waiting for the rest of the group at all the gates. :patch:

As I'm leading the group through terrain unfamiliar to them I decide to slow down the pace again and keep the group closer together for the rest of the day and up the Gannaga Pass.

Other than the loss of a topbox that Jan on "Strawberry Milkshake's" bike had to go 22km back to fetch and then cover the 22km back again to Middelpos :imaposer: it was an incident free ride.
p.s the look on Jan's face was priceless when he was told how far back the topbox was, this at the end of a +-350km ride. :imaposer:

We briefly met "Dustdevil" in Middelpos filling up his HPN before they left for Sutherland (Good chatting to you mate) :thumleft:

The next day I kept a slow pace as we headed for Ouberg Pass on our way back and then on to Katabakjies Pass for the last bit of gravel. :ricky:
As I was eager to get home to my family we all said our goodbyes just before Ceres and rode home at our own pace.
Needless to say Rick was keen to ride with me as far as Durbanville as he comes from Parkands and as you guessed we were going to have fun on Bainskloof on our return.
Well again I underestimated the situation thinking on gravel a good rider can perform tricks with any bike but hear in the mountains power and speed is needed too. :mwink: Ja well no fine, for the second time I was humbled very humbled, Rick was waiting for me as we rode into Wellington. :dousing:

All I can say is that I have a new earned respect for the KLR and have learned never to underestimate a matured rider. :thumleft:

If you Blouberg guys are looking for a hell of a interesting guy that is keen for a bit of endurance speed on rides, then give Rick Olivant a call on 082 897 one ow two six. (unfortunately he doesn't have Internet access and when I asked him he said "no man I'm a bush mechanic.")  :imaposer:
p.s He has a Garden Service business in the Parklands area. :thumleft: