KLR650 to 800GS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusk

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
With reference to the Tenere / GS800 thread....

I dont know the Tenere, but I have owned 2 KLR,s since 2003, let me say IMHO the KLR is way better offroad than the GS can ever dream of being. :pot: When I had the KLR I longed for something with more road performance and looked at the Adventure many times. The problem with the adv is that its too big and heavy for me to handle in the bush. And I dont mean gravel roads.
Intro the GS800. I have to say I was expecting a KLR on steroids but the 800 is much more like a road bike. It has a much firmer front suspension which is great on the road, but offroad it jars and shakes  the hell out you. I think it wouldn't be long before I hit a hole or rock that normally the KLR would soak up and the GS bucks me from my pirch.
It also has a strange standing position, sort of leaning slightly forward. Maybe some raisers would help...
Then it also wont allow me to move my feet back to rest the front of my foot on the rests because theres an exhaust guard there. Not cool at all.
Back on the road its great and doesnt do the KLR wobble at all. Throttle response is way quicker and the bike feels much happier in corners than the KLR. Performance seems awesome (seems because I'm still running in) and I love the burble of the twin. Reminds me of the old RD350. Theres a powerfull front brake which in my non abs version demands respect, no grabbing handfulls ala KLR style

Overall I cant help but feel a little disappointed.  Maybe I need more time on it (350 km so far) but I think I may miss the KLR more than I expected. :-\

Modified for Michnus :biggrin: