KTM 525 EXC wont idle properly - any advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This thing is driving me up the fekin wall.

Its just had new valves and timing chain etc done on it. Valves have been set to spec and the bike goes like the clappers anywhere off idle. pulls like a train as per usual.

However.....

The bike doesnt idle properly. its a very rough idle and when you blip the throttle the revs climb very high and stay high, instead of coming back down to normal idle straight away. If you ride the bike and accelerate in any gear and pull the clutch to change up, the revs stay very high and again the revs dont drop to idle as they should. If you blip the throttle and the revs climb up, it will drop down to idle if you get the bike to almost die with the kill switch.

The carb has been cleaned about 15 times, checked for air leaks... made sure there is fresh fuel. it has a new o-ring between the carb body and the plastic bell mouth that fits onto the airbox end. all the jets have been cleaned and compressed air blown to make sure no grit is stuck. throttle cables are loose enough . it does this even with the throttle cables disconnected.

The air/fuel mixture screw under the carb is set to 1.25 turns out. any more than that and it just revs awaylike a banshee.

Float height is correct.

I am at the point of setting this damn thing on fire...  :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: ???

Has anyone out there had a similar experience and know how to fix this issue???  Please let me know asap!!!!!!