KTM Starter Motor Kaput!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubiblue

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R
Hi All

My starter motor for my '14 250 enduro has given in, serviced it 3 months ago, when it gave me crap, was working well, but now the main bearing seized up. KTM only stock the brushes as spares, else you must buy a complete unit @ 3.5k. Ultimately I will probably buy a new one, but would like to try restore the current one as well, as a complete spare.

Anyone know what bearing I would need, that is an exact match, it is a roller bearing, but I am looking for size specs so I can try bearing man. Unfortunately I don't have a vernier (spelling possibly wrong) to measure the casing size, the armature spindle size, etc.

I have heard you can do this, but you then need to mill the armature spindle a fraction as the replacement bearing inside diameter is sligthly smaller than the original.

Anyone done this, that can share their experiences. The motor and brushes are all good, just the main bearing has given up (rusted to pieces looks like).

Many Thanks