KZN Outride

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
The KZN dogs had a most enjoyable ride yesterday, great to see some old faces I have not ridden with for a while, and good to meet some new ones who I am sure will be joining us plenty in the future.

Riders were:

Navi -  XT660
Bruno - KLR
Allan - GS800
Andy - GS800
IanB - KTM950
Husky - KTM640
wilddoc - BMW Dakar
Outthere - BMW1200
Pete - XT 660
Offside - Yamaha 660 Tenere
Me - sad long in the tooth dirty KLR

Nice mix of bikes and riding experience

Left Hilton at 06h00 on Sunday morning and headed out on the main road through the Karkloof. This is normally a really pleasant ride through a really scenic part of the midlands. Yesterday it was not pleasant at all though. The combination of dust thrown up by a few construction trucks and early morning mist was a real pain in the ass and left visors and glasses coated in a layer of mud, but luckily no incidents resulting from this.

After the Karkloof we re-gathered and then headed down the track behind CraigieBurn dam, one of my favourite routes at the moment.

Offside on his brand new Tenere

DSC02670.jpg

Husky, who I have not had the pleasure of riding with for a couple of years

DSC02671.jpg

Allan on his GS800 who had to leave the ride early due to one of his front forks "bursting". Sorry for the bad luck Allan, hope you get it sorted.

DSC02672.jpg

On the CraigieBurn trail:

DSC02674.jpg

DSC02675.jpg

DSC02676.jpg

DSC02677.jpg

DSC02678.jpg

DSC02679.jpg

From there we hit the main Middelrus dirt highway to Weenen where we stopped for fuel.

Just outside Weenen we got onto the track to Zingela Lodge. What a pleasure to ride through this game reserve, saw impala, kudu and zebra next to the track.

On the interesting and at times testing track to Zingela Lodge.

DSC02681.jpg

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02683.jpg

DSC02684.jpg

At Zingela Lodge we were quick to find some shade at the outdoor pub on the banks of the Tugela River. This is really a fantastic spot to get away from it all, planning to come here again with the wives later this year for a couple of days.

The lodge provided us with some lunch as well as liquid refreshments

DSC02687.jpg

DSC02693.jpg

Left Zingela at around midday along a new route that I had seen on Google Earth but had not been along yet, going through Kusa Kusa reserve.

I normally track the routes I do on Google Earth, then follow them from memory. This time the routes were pretty obscured by a band of cloud on GE so I could not do this. So what I did was a drew a track on Google Earthe, saved it a a KML file and sent it to Outthere, who loaded it onto his GPS, so we had a GPS route to follow if we got lost.

This track eventually took us to Colenso, where we skirted the town, got back on the tar and headed back to Weenen.

From Weenen we headed on a track towards Escourt, passing through some nice remote and rugged countryside.

At some stage we stopped next to a cultivated well weeded area, a couple of acres of dagga plants under cultivation in the middle of nowhere. This cash crop will no doubt earn some enterprising local a few rands of spending money  :D

DSC02695.jpg

DSC02696.jpg

Once out of the sticks we headed on tar to Mooi River and then on to Nottingham Road for a few drinks.

Thanks all for a great days riding, really enjoyed it.