Lane splitting close call

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stofsuier

Puppy
Reaction score
I think it was Thursday when I came through Koeberg interchange down the M5 towards the southern suburbs. The traffic was heavy as it was peak hour, so cars in both lanes were going very slow. I was carving my way through the middle, slowly and carefully with a string of bikes behind me when a doosbag in a cage immediately and promptly changed lanes from right to left with out indicating or looking. I don't even think he had enough time to make up his own mind about his decision before he actually did it.
Lucky i spotted the risk as I came one - (the risk being the gap on the left) - and instinct tells me that if there's a gap some idiot would want to fill it. So i rode into the gap as i passed it and this good habit and forethought is what saved me from seeing my behind. But I landed in the far left lane nonetheless.

Then the most amazing thing happened! The string of bikers behind me, who saw this happen, all started to rev their bikes frantically and shouting at this cager, who at this time was blood red. I don't think anyone was angry, they were just proving a point.

I would like to thank those bikers for their support, that was a cool thing to do.

And i think that cager got a driving lesson of his life. I think he just made a honest brainless mistake, but I doubt he will be changing lanes without thinking ever again. Him and every other cager who saw it happen are now converts to biker conscientiousness, I'm sure. And I was reminded of how alert one has to be.

Safe riding.