Last Sundays Cannal Ride and Beestekraal Ginger Beer!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Des

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Get a text message from Grols:- Ja, we are of the pre Facebook/Twitter/Snapchat era so sms are the method of choice for coms.....

"Let's ride on Sunday Boet, Troy want to de- Virgin his bike! That said, how can I decline having been commuting up and down Witkoppen all winter and not seeing a gravel track since the last decent rains.

We meet at the Engen on William Nichol next to Fourways Mall, just at the end of my garden so I get to sleep half an hour longer!! My bed and I are very good friends.
Absolute perfect weather for riding and the run to Harties, turning off at Nakita in Broederstroom was just the thing to get the gravel travel feeling back into my rusty old system. Past Amazingwe/Glen Afric and the Irish Ale House, then back on the black stuff to the Engen at the Harties cross roads, Got kaked on for being 5 minutes late by a mottely crew of grey headed old buggers and a row of bikes, at least there was one young lady that raised the standard a bit, actually a lot!

The ride was just amazing, soon sorted out who wanted to lead and who was to follow, plenty dust, and I mean DUST, but still great riding. One farmer heard we were coming so he watered the road all along his farm for us, should let the other farmers now in future. The canal was the fullest I've seen it in long time, at least no one decided to use it as a deep bike wash, there were a few skid marks on some of the corners and I'm sure in a few pairs of under-jocks but no reported parting of company of note. One gentleman of Dirtbike Fanatics fame had a closer look at the soil composition on one corner but up and away long before any incriminating pictures could be snapped!

Too soon we were at the filling station on the Brits/Thabazimbi road, then the flat out run to Beestekraal  Station for Ginger Beer (always good) and Lime Milk shakes. Breakfast sorted, some guys went home others joined us and off along the western canals to Mooinooi, once again the tracks and roads just kept coming, magic stuff, refuel at Mooinooi then along the Barnardsvlei road around the back of Buffelspoort Dam and up Breedts Nek. My old stamping ground, so its interesting to note how that pass has deteriorated over the years. Stopped at the top to take in the view and to see if the couple in the white Pajero got up to mischief.....

Took and easy ride down and with 8kms to the Black horse Craft Beer, there was no sparing of the horses. Some good low alcohol beers had by all just made the day!

Said our good byes and headed to where we had come from, incident free apart from a snapped accelerator cable which was "McGivered" in no time to last for the rest of the ride with no slacking in pace.

Thanks to Grolls for putting this together, always good to ride as your wingman!

Attachments

• 2015-09-27 12.52.25 (Small).jpg
    2015-09-27 12.52.25 (Small).jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 2015-09-27 12.52.05 (Small).jpg
    2015-09-27 12.52.05 (Small).jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 338
  • 2015-09-27 12.52.58 (Small).jpg
    2015-09-27 12.52.58 (Small).jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 339
  • 2015-09-27 13.39.56 (Small).jpg
    2015-09-27 13.39.56 (Small).jpg