Lesotho Advice & Suggetsions Please - Sani, Katse, Semonkong, Clarence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackP

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi wild dogs
I am planning a trip through Lesotho from 6th to 9 Oct. This will be our first trip into Lesotho (other than from Caledonspoort to Afriski) so still quite novice when it comes to expectations.
Have done quite a bit of research and have read through some very informative threads in the section but still have a couple of questions.
We will be 3 x1200GS with the wives in a 4x4 following.
Our intended route is as indicated below (if my pic uploads worked) but in short:
Day 1 – Himeville to St Johns/Molumong – 82km (43km Tar)
Day 2 – St Johns to Katse dam – I have 4 route options.
  • Op1 - Via Taba-Tseka – 158km all gravel
  • Op2 - Via Kao mine road and down the western part of Katse dam – 208km (86km Tar)
  • Op 3 - Via Kao mine and down the eastern part of Katse dam (Not on A25) – 184km (73km Tar)
  • Op 4 - Via Kao mine and on A25 Tar road – 190km (127km Tar)
Day 3 – Katse dam to Semonkong via Sehlabathebe & Ramatseliso and A25 – 371km (106km Tar)
Day 4 – Semonkong to Clarence via Maseru – 279km (279km Tar)

Some questions:
1: We will be leaving Himeville at 08:00am the latest and up Sani pass to St Johns. Would it be advisable to push on to Katse dam via Kao mine road – an additional +-200km, and depending on which option we choose, will have as much as 127km tar. Is this too much for 1 day? Our route from Katse to Semonkong seems like a full day so we may not have time to do dam tour before departing so my thinking was that if we can push through to Katse dam in one day, we can spend the next full day exploring katse and surrounds before pushing on the following day to Semonkong.

2: In the event that we don’t combine day 1 and 2 routes into one, which is the more scenic routes to Katse dam. Via  Taba-Tseka or via Kao Mine road. Any suggestion in terms of the 3 different routes around Katse dam?

3: Day 3 we will drive from Katse to Semonkong via Sehlabathebe & Ramatseliso. This seems quite a stretch at 371km, of which 106km will be tar. Is this doable in a day? How long would it take us as we may want to still spend the morning at Katse with Dam tour etc before we depart?

4: How technical is the Katse to Semonkong via Sehlabathebe & Ramatseliso road. Our skill levels are far from Roof of Africa champion level, but also not completely incapable

5: What is fuel availability like in Katse , en-route to Semonkong and at Semonkong. We should be able to cover the 371km stretch given the slow going but will still fill up when and where possible, I just want to establisk if we need to take extra fuel.

6: Any other route and overnight suggetsions?
7: Any suggestions in terms of accommodation. How is St John, Molumong or Katse logge? Reviews seem mixed.

Thanks in advance. Wil post pics once the trip has been done and dusted!

Day 1 and 2 planned Routes

Day 3 and 4 planned Routes