Lesotho and Rhodes Solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
So my mate Slashback asked me if I was keen to go for a ride into Lesotho with SuperJuice and him on Wednesday. This sounded like a good plan and I got all excited at the prospect. Unfortunately, Slashback called to cancel, saying Superjuice was no longer coming down.

Anyway, by now my mind was on riding my bike, not work, so I decided to go for a ride by myself.

Left Hilton early Thursday morning, headed out towards Underberg, where I fuelled up, including an extra 5 litre container which I had strapped to my bike, as I knew I would not be seeing fuel for a while. After underberg, left the tar at Swartberg and then got on to dirt and made my way towards the Ramatselitso border point.

The ride up to the border post is pretty rough and very deserted, no  direction signs whatsoever showing you where to go.

RhodesTrip004.jpg

RhodesTrip006.jpg

RhodesTrip008.jpg

RhodesTrip010.jpg

Got through the border nice and quick, they do not have a lot of traffic passing through here.

RhodesTrip011.jpg

Weather was great, clear blue skies, but quite cold.

After leaving the border post, took the road going left and headed towards the Telle Bridge border post. I have never been along this road before, and I had no idea what to expect.

The road was great, with the usual stunning Lesotho backdrops.

RhodesTrip013.jpg

I reached the junction with the Quacha's Neck road, and was disappointed to see a pristine tar road, which took me all the way to Telle Bridge. Oh well, at least the scenery was still awesome.

RhodesTrip019.jpg

RhodesTrip023.jpg

RhodesTrip024.jpg

Arrived at Telle Bridge just after 15h00, and crossed back into SA no problem.

RhodesTrip026.jpg

From here I stayed on dirt and took the Lundean's neck road towards Rhodes. This is a brilliant road to ride, and the scenery is spectacular. Unfortunately I could not dawdle, as it was by now quite late in the afternoon and the sun was going down fast. Rode past the turn-off to Danger Hoek, but unfortunately too late to go explore.

Stopped at the top of Lundean's neck for a quick photo

RhodesTrip027.jpg

I arrived at Rhodes just as it was getting dark, perfect timing. Luckily the hotel store was still open so I could fill up with petrol, my first since Underberg, so it was lucky i had taken the extra 5 litres with.

That night I checked into the Rhodes Hotel. Despite the girl in the office telling me this was peak season so peak season rates applied, I was the only person staying at the hotel. Had a few drinks in the bar, then some pretty mediocre supper in the dining room, then off to bed at about 20h00, probably the earliest I have gone to bed in the past 30 odd years. But I slept like a log, so I was obviously tired from the day's riding.

Woke early the next morning and left the hotel as the sun was starting to come out.

RhodesTrip030.jpg

From Rhodes I headed up towards Tiffendel ski resort.

RhodesTrip035.jpg

The road up to Tiffendel is pretty spectacular, but relatively easy in the nice dry conditions that I had. I imagine the road would be pretty treacherous in the rain or snow.

Spotted this long crested eagle sitting in a low tree right next to the road. He was not at all phased by my bike, and allowed me to stand right under him and take his picture.

Unfortunately not a great shot.

RhodesTrip038.jpg

Continued up the pass to Tiffendel when I saw this parked on a runway right on the top of the mountain, just off the road.

RhodesTrip040.jpg

Obviously a much more stylish and quicker way of getting to Tiffendel than on a KLR.

Got to Tiffendel a few minutes later, but did not go in as it was still very early.

RhodesTrip042.jpg

RhodesTrip045.jpg

RhodesTrip046.jpg

From here carried on with the loop that took me back towards Lundean's Neck and Lady Grey

RhodesTrip044.jpg

RhodesTrip049.jpg

Back over Lundean's Neck and on to the Dangers Hoek road that i had heard good things about.

RhodesTrip051.jpg

This is an absolutely stunning ride. As far as I am concerned this is as close to dual sport heaven you can get without actually having to die first.

RhodesTrip052.jpg

RhodesTrip053.jpg

RhodesTrip054.jpg

RhodesTrip055.jpg

RhodesTrip056.jpg

RhodesTrip057.jpg

Here the weather started looking a bit threatening, with some low dark grey clouds, but luckily no rain. from here I headed back through Rhodes and up Naude's Neck pass. Nice and dry and excellent road condition.

RhodesTrip061.jpg

RhodesTrip062.jpg

RhodesTrip064.jpg

RhodesTrip066.jpg

RhodesTrip068.jpg

Once I got to the bottom of Naude's Neck I stopped to talk to a farmer to ask about distances to the tar road. he suggested I take a short-cut he knew about, which he said would mean that I could completely by-pass Mount Fletcher and come out on the Matatiele road. he said the road is quite rough, but I should be ok. This sounded like a good idea, so off I went.

Anyway, he was not joking about the road being a bit rough, and eventually I was just following tracks over the top of a mountain, with only the odd sheep for company.

RhodesTrip070.jpg

I thought I was really lost a couple of times, but the views were great

RhodesTrip072.jpg

RhodesTrip073-1.jpg

Eventually the track came down the side of the mountain

RhodesTrip076.jpg

RhodesTrip077.jpg

and joined up with a nice dirt road that soon linked with the main Matatiele road. Short cut....not sure......would I take it again....definitely.

From here headed back home on tar through Matat, Swartberg and Underberg. Arrived home on Friday at 17h00, just in time for the weekend.

Absolutely no mechanical problems, punctures or spills.