Lesotho Dads & Lads Ride - March 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGB

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Some months ago at Jan’s farm, whilst thinking bike, we gave birth to the idea of taking the boys for their first proper Lesotho ride.  We figured that about 6 bikes would be the ideal group size for a relaxed trip into the mountains.  Being my positive self, I saw no issues and the date was pencilled in on our calendars.  Time goes fast and it was not too long before dads and lads from all over the place were heading for Lesotho.  The group size expanded to 15 – it is hard work to keep friends away from fun….   15 is a few more than ideal for the kind of routes I had in mind, but the more the merrier and things were all set.

DL2.jpg

We gathered in Wepener early on Friday morning and passed through the border just after opening time.  Outside Mohaleshoek, we left our vehicles at my favourite mission station and we were ready to hit the “road”.

DL3-1.jpg

The group comprised a “wide” selection of machines:
- August (KTM 640) and his 2 sons August and Gustav (KLR 650’s)
- Gert (KTM 990R) and his son Bernard on the back
- Pieter (HP2) and his son Ruan (KTM 85)
- Jan (KTM 950 SE) and his son Gerhard (CRF 230)
- Stefan (KTM 990R) and Behan (YZ 250)
- Gerhard, my brother (KTM 990S)
- Ian (HP2) and his friend Jan (KTM 950 SE)
- De Wet (KTM 525)

I had some ideas of where I thought we could get to in a day, and after breakfast and the “ego” exercise (just to get the dads and lads on the same level) we were on the ponies and heading for the hills.  

DL4-1.jpg

The weather was not looking very promising, and even our esteemed pastor on board was having difficulty understanding that I talk to the Weatherman….  The first section was a nice “warm-up” and we did as we agreed – start slow and finish fast.  The group size was a little bit of a barrier in my mind for starters, but by the first “tester” where the road was washed away and a deep rut had to be negotiated, all my superstition transformed to only a distant thought.  The plan is the plan and Marakabei is where we are headed….

DL5-1.jpg

DL6.jpg

DL7.jpg

DL9-1.jpg

We had a clear run to Malealea – only one puncture on the 640, which we fixed and continued.  

DL10.jpg

DL11.jpg

At Malealea we stopped over for some fuel and a drink.  The one KLR had a crack in the engine casing which we fixed up with some Pratley Steel putty.  Rested,  Fuelled up and all smiles we were off to Ramabanta.  

DL12-1.jpg

DL13.jpg

The track along the river was the route and another enjoyable bit of riding was had by all.  Some mud, ruts and water was the order of the day, but all the boys were riding well and things were looking up.  We tend to just go through these sections, I have done it so many times, but every time it seems to be more fun than ever.  

DL14.jpg

DL15.jpg

DL17.jpg

DL18-1.jpg

At Ramabanta, we pre-arranged some fuel and filled the bikes that needed.  The one 990 had a blocked fuel filter which we replaced quickly.  So fast nobody even had a chance to take a picture….  Time was now running a bit late and we still had some distance to cover.  We decided to take the “easier” road, rather than Jockstrap pass as planned originally.  The rain was ahead of us, and we only found the mud.  That black and red stuff becomes VERY slippery and progress was not very fast….  You have no idea how slippery that stuff becomes and traction is only found with some very careful throttle and clutch control.  

DL20.jpg

DL21.jpg

A washed away bridge with strong flowing water slowed us down some more and darkness caught up with us with 10km dirt and 50km tar to go.  

DL22.jpg

DL24-1.jpg

Getting all the bikes through dry took some time, but we did not drown anything and I was happy.  The going was slow on the mud and the 10 km took us the best part of 2 hours of slipping and sliding.  But everyone persevered and we hit the tar in good spirits.  The last bit down the pass past Mohale dam to Marakabei was done with the plastic bikes riding next to the dads in order to utilize their lights.  A head torch here and there helped and the youngsters were having a ball.  Some over 50 years young….. We arrived after 21:00 and dinner was ready.  The dinner did not really touch sides and most of the team were in bed fairly soon after arrival.  The backpackers dorm was ideal – sleeping was no problem, even next to a revving 990 – this kind of riding is good sleeping therapy….
On Saturday, we only had about 85 km to do.  Down to Mantsonyane and via the Senqunyane crossing to Semonkong.  The 525 was leaking a bit of oil through a gasket and some Pratley sorted that out.  One of the SE’s laid down on the one pipe once to many in the mud and the hole was plugged with a piece of tree.  

DL25.jpg

DL26-1.jpg

We filled the tanks at Marakabei and stopped for some food at Mantsonyane.  Good stuff you can get there.

DL27.jpg

DL29-1.jpg

DL31.jpg

From here, the road was also still a little bit wet.  It rained an inch the previous night, but our riding weather was perfect.  Just some “leeuloop” through those mud patches kept everyone alert and focussed on the job at hand.  

DL34-1.jpg

Except the lads on the plastics – they were a little disappointed in the dads going so slow through the mud…..  

DL33.jpg

DL35-1.jpg

We got to the Senqunyane river, having descended a fairly steep pass that dictated some proper and most enjoyable riding.  

DL36.jpg

The river crossing across the pedestrian bridge is always a treat.  We stopped and relaxed a bit after the bridge and waited for everyone to catch up.  The nice part of the spot next to the river is that you cannot see the pass out and the mind does not become negative.  

DL38.jpg

And you did this, and my front wheel did this.....
DL37.jpg

DL40.jpg

At least he knew what was for dinner....

DL41-1.jpg

DL43.jpg

Back on the bikes, the going immediately became a few notches tougher.  I was a little surprised at how much this pass has deteriorated in the last 6 months, all the rain in Lesotho certainly took it’s toll…  Loose rocks, big rocks, wet rocks, steep climbs, heavy bikes, sharp corners and all those kind of terrain challenges all presented themselves simultaneously.

DL44.jpg

DL45.jpg

DL47-1.jpg

The team impressed once again.  Everyone pressed on and with a push here, a shove there and a healthy dose of tow strap treatment it took us a few hours to do the 2 km of mountain pass to the top.  This is a serious bit of travelling and is not recommended if you want to take your wife on honeymoon on your new tourer….   A saving grace was the 3 little Basotho kids whom we gave some bottles and they were shunting water from the spring to the action continuously, ensuring that everyone stayed hydrated.  They loved the responsibility and reported to me every now and again that they are still committed.  

DL48-1.jpg

DL49.jpg

DL50.jpg

DL46-1.jpg

My brother came past at some point with a six pack of Red Bull, and I read somewhere that the stuff gives you wings.  So I took a can.  I can now report that it does not work.  The bike stayed firmly embedded in those rocks and still had to be ridden every inch of the way.  The bikes and riders got a little hot, but “riding to preserve” is the motto for man and machine, so we just took it slow and continued to work our way up at snail’s pace.  Once at the top, all the smiles were back and the mud that followed was not seen as too much of a challenge any longer.  The bikes and riders were slightly bruised here and there but all still going strong.

DL51-1.jpg

DL52-1.jpg

We did not break the tradition and arrived in darkness at Semonkong once again….  What a ride though.  Mike Glover had a group from Israel at Semonkong too, and we spent a most enjoyable evening exchanging war stories and wisdom in the restaurant.   Sleeping was again not too much of a problem.

DL53-1.jpg

DL54-1.jpg

Sunday we decided to take it easy – the consensus was that the scenery is also worth looking at and that the route should be chosen accordingly.  Being concerned about the well being of our guests, we did just that and took an easy ride back via Ramabanta and past Malealea on a slightly different track.  

DL55-1.jpg

DL56-1.jpg

DL57-1.jpg

But we did the tourist thing first – visit to the waterfall.  Mike Glover and the Red Cherry tourist team were also there.  Always a spectacular sight.  Our very own pastor also kept us focused and shared some wisdom, it is Sunday after all – one of the “better” churches I have seen.  

DL58.jpg

DL59.jpg

The ride from here was very easy and relaxed, no challenges except for one of the boys who lost his bag from the bike’s carrier.  Also, most of the team had to stop now and again and guys were seen running down the banks with stiff legs and white paper flagging behind them.  So some re-grouping stops were done and time spent just chatting and looking at the place. We were lucky not to run into any police road blocks right through.  

DL61.jpg

Once on the tar, we stopped off to get some fuel and snacks at a Chinese shop along the way and again at Mount Maluti hotel in  Mohaleshoek for Pizza’s, the best in Lesotho.

DL62-1.jpg

DL63.jpg

DL64.jpg

The last little hop back to the cars was over in a flash and we all loaded and headed home after another great ride in the Mountain Kingdom.  We will be back…..

DL65-1.jpg

Closing remarks:

15 is a big group for a ride of this nature.  But this team was ready for any challenge and it was a pleasure riding and fighting with them.  8)

We had some challenges with bikes along the way, but nothing we could not fix or manage.  Great!   :p

Where riders ran out of energy, there was always another one to keep his pony tame whilst he recovered adeqautely to continue.  :thumleft:

No helmets were thrown, no swearing was heard, although there was plenty of action and opportunity to justify those type of actions....   :eek:

The weather played along very nicely, the fun can fade if the rain and cold catches you – although I am comforted by the knowledge that one can find cover in any village along the way.   :3some:

Taking the boys along was just great.  All of them did very well, and the 9 year old Bernard deserves a special pat on the back!   :ricky:

The character building part always presents itself when the going gets a little tougher.  This is where the stories are made that we will share with our sons when they come to check on us in the old age home.  :deal:

Life is great   :biggrin:

DL66.jpg

The next ride is under planning already.....