Let's overland - what bike?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_wes

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Harley Davidson (all models)
(Note: This is one of those hypothetical "what if" threads that I hope will spark interesting discussion - I'm not looking for a bike or crossing the continent (at least, not yet).)

So let's say the urge hits you to pack up and leave Cape Town - you've got 4 months off and you want to reach North Africa, maybe Egypt or Morocco. You've got the time off, permission from SWAMBO, a tent and all the gear you need...

hmmm, but what bike?

So, what bike would you do it on, and why? What's important to you? Essentials I imagine would be fuel range (or able to store extra fuel somewhere), packing space, reliability, long service intervals, ability to take abuse (body and engine), able to run on any fuel...

My vote would go to a BMW R80 GS. I've heard of quite a couple of people take them across the continent - they are built tough, easy to fix, and have enough power and packing space. I think personally I'd take an R80 GS and slap a few HPN goodies on, including the frame upgrade and maybe better suspension and a huge tank.

Second choice would be the good old BMW F650 Dakar - I've seen someone take it around the world for 3 years! Slap a big ass tank on it (expensive) and you can load it like a pack donkey! It's got a reliable engine that will run forever, and as singles go it's rather comfy...

so what would you take, and why?