Lightweight Camping gear training. Possible date 4,5,6 May 2012. ???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boer!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Steve Eilertsen from Flames on my tank, and myself have been discussion the possibility of doing a workshop for newbies and or experienced riders as to how correctly pack your bike, and discuss options available in terms of camping equipment.

Our reasoning is that a lot of us (myself for one) has learned through trial and error what the correct equipment is to use on a bike trip.  It has taken a lot of time, and has cost a lot of money.  The end result is I have so much camping gear which I never use, because when I bought it, I simply didn't know any better or it simply wasn't biker friendly camping gear.

A lot of the training courses that we all attend, we flip off the luggage and take our naked bikes out to enhance our skills.  Most of these weekends ends with the instructors telling you to "pack your bike as light as possible"  or "take only the bare minimum required",  But what exactly does that mean.  We gain all these riding skills without the luggage on the bike.

We will try and teach our collective knowledge and transfer it onto who ever wants to learn and get some tips for the future.

The workshops will be covered across three sessions, will be a lot of fun and will cover the following:

1. The correct tent and what purpose will it serve.
2.  The use of a tarp or a raincover.  (incl Rainsuits)
3.  Emergency equipment/survival kits
4.  Proper cooking gear and utensils, incl preparing meals over fire
5.  Proper sleeping bags/pillows etc.
6.  Thermal clothing and the use of space blankets.
7.  How to load all your kit on your bike and strap it down.
8.  Hard Luggage vs Soft Luggage vs the terrain you want to travel.
9.  Multi day touring setup, vs a weekend outride and the proper equipment
10. Hydration/medical/nutrition on tours.
11.  Solo touring vs 1 up in a group, vs 2 up in a group and the proper gear.

And a few other items.  We will also try and get some Forum Vendors to support these workshops by showing off their products, and the proper use of them, and having them on special for workshop attendees.

The main idea is to offer a 3 part workshop, after which all the knowledge will be tested when we take our group out to camp unsupported for 2 nights.

There will be a minimal fee, which will include the weekend outride and camping facilities of R200 per person.

Anybody interested, please let me know, or ask any question you want down here.

Tx
Boer  :thumleft: