Long distance riding and the dreaded sore ass

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
I have just ridden from Kitwe to Jo'burg in 3 days and as much as I looked forward to the ride, the sore ass which comes with it. Regular stops and standing for a minute or 2 helps but still by the end of the day you can't go on because you are stopping more than you are riding. Long distance travel will always end up with a sore rear end, even in a cage but while riding I thinking of ways to counter the sore ass without changing the seat or adding padding to it, for now at least.
I found that it was more the inner thighs that where most painful and that persists while the rear end recovers after a break. I put this down to my riding pants sticking to my skin after you start sweating and this in turn pulls the skin and makes it painful to sit and ride. I was wondering if wearing those undershorts the rugby players wear would help prevent this. Are they made from wicking material? Will cycling shorts, with or without the pad also possibly a solution? I was on a GSA so I don't think the seat is a problem although I have also thought of redoing the foam.
Can the WDopedia give some advise.