Lowering a Dakar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldmaSA350

Puppy
Reaction score
I have finally decided to fit a lowering kit to my Dakar.

The F650 FAQ section was a great source of information but still leaves me in a cofused state of mind.
It would appear some only fitted the lowering links with an adjustment to the front forks.

Please excuse my ignorance if I have this wrong.
Is it possible to only fit the lowering links?
What is the purpose of;
a) The collar for the shock?
b) The spacer for the shock?

Can someone please enlighten me on this?

Anyway, the biggest issue now is to calculate the correct length of dogbones I want and then work backwards from there progressively in 3 stages to have 3 sets of links 1", 1.5" and 2.0" It is not a matter of adding say 1" to the OE dogbone length and have the suspension lowered by 1" as the suspension geometry angles are compounded. (Is there no info on the site that will tell you what different lengths dogbones equals different ride heights/lowering suspension)
I did a rough estimate and found increasing the actual dogbone length by 1" give approx 2.5" lowering the rear suspension. To much for what I want. Now I have to look at increasing the length .75" and see where I end up. The ideal situation is to have exactly 2" 1.5" and 1" This way I can experiment which link is best suited for my different ride styles, ie solo with no panniers and luggage, solo with luggage, two up no luggage and two up with luggage. There will be times when the wify wants to join in on the fun so I have to keep that in mind.
It takes me less than 15 minutes to remove the links, it is very easy and straight forward. Of coarse there is also the suspension setting to play with.

I would be grateful if anyone can help with the actual lengths of the 1" and 2" links as this will safe me a lot of time trying to figure this out.

Thanks fellas, happy two wheeling!!