May - Cape Town to Port Shepstone and back via Sani & Baviaans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraZer

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 790 Adventure R Rally
Hi All

After much discussion between me and the missus we have decided that we really need to do a nice long trip. As it turned out a relative is getting married in Port Shepstone on the 8th May which has given us good reason to make the trip happen over the first 2 weeks in May.

We will be going on 2 bikes (KTM 990 Adv S & DR 650 SE) and have planned to do the ride up in 5 days with a 2 day buffer and the same time window for the return trip. To reduce the volume of gear we have also decided not to carry tents and sleeping mattresses and rather find accommodation in B&B's, Backpackers and so on.

The route has not been finalised, but I would very much like some input from the Dogs about route suggestions and places we should visit. Any other advice will also be appreciated.

Attached is a file of some of the initial route plan.

The rough route plan:

Day 1 Cape Town to Willomore

Leave Cape Town out via Franschoek pass – Villersdorp.
Take some dirt to Robertson and then slab it to Montagu.
Get back onto the dirt all the way to Ladismith.
Back onto the slab through Oudtshoorn and finally to Willowmore.

Day 2 Willowmore to Cradock

There was talk of going though Nieu-Bethesda, but I’m not so keen on the long section of the N9 we would have to follow.
From Willowmore onto the R329 – R337 Cradock via Klipplaat,  Jansenville and Khayanisho.

Day 3 Cradock to Barkley East?

As we intend returning from Port Shepstone via the Barkley East area I’m not 100% sure if we should head to Aliwal North or Lady Grey and visit Barkley East (and Tiffendal) on the return trip.

Day 4 Barkley East? To Underberg / Himeville

From the Barkley East area we will make our way to Underberg via some of the passes and rest up a bit.

Day 5 Sani to Port Shepstone

Leave the bags at our accommodation and make our way up Sani. Once back down, pick up our bags and head for Port Shepstone via R617, R612 and a small detour on to Port Shepstone.

The return trip

At this point I have not done much planning for the return trip. The intention is to return to the Barkley East area and overnight there. From the Barkley East area down towards PE via Katberg pass (or via Hogsback), Fort Beaufort and Riebeek East. With a possible overnight at Fort Beaufort. Once we get to PE we will overnight near Hankey and hit Baviaans the next day.

I have read much of the info on the forum but any info or suggestions about doing Baviaans would be much appreciated as I have never been though Baviaans.

We will overnight on the edge of Baviaans somewhere and head back to Cape Town via the R62 and whichever road takes us home.

Anyone who would like to join us for sections of the trip will be most welcome. In fact I would really love it if we could meet up with other dogs along the way.

Attachments

• May Trip.gdb
    39.5 KB · Views: 14